Florida Hog Hunt Recommendations

Zach429

FNG
I'm going to be heading down to south Venice FL in February to visit the parents. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on hog hunts in that area.

Opah

WKR
I am sure with a call to any of the sporting goods shops out the they could fill you in, or a call to the FDFW can assist you with the laws ,tags and licence information

OP
Zach429

Zach429

FNG
I'm asking for recommendations on places people have hunted, sharing info is the whole point of this site. Not sure I'm taking advice from the guy answering phones at a sportsman's warehouse but thanks. FL doesn't require any tags to hunt hogs either, just fyi.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Cracker Heritage Hunting Preserve
863 781 1577
121 Prescott Rd
Zolfo Springs, FL

Good people

robtattoo

WKR
If you feel like a DIY public land hunt, drive 2 hrs east to Okeechobee, then head north towards Sebring. About 40 minutes north on 98, there's a turnoff to your right that takes you into Hickory Hammock WMA & Starvation Slough. I've spent days upon days walking around Starvation hunting hogs & I've taken a bunch out of there over the years. Stunning country.

OP
Zach429

Zach429

FNG
If you feel like a DIY public land hunt, drive 2 hrs east to Okeechobee, then head north towards Sebring. About 40 minutes north on 98, there's a turnoff to your right that takes you into Hickory Hammock WMA & Starvation Slough. I've spent days upon days walking around Starvation hunting hogs & I've taken a bunch out of there over the years. Stunning country.
Spot & Stalk possible in that area or should I bring a stand? Going to be bowhunting an flying in from Colorado so if I didn't need a stand that would be great.

robtattoo

WKR
Spot & stalk is your best bet. Not many Live Oaks you could set a stand in!
If you do it, try to put yourself between the woods & the river, late in the afternoon. Glass the floodplain & see what's what. The hogs often come out into the plain near last light. Just watch where you're stepping; I came really close to walking along the back of a 5' gator a few years back.

Also, bring a thermacell & be prepared to get wet......
FB_IMG_1606665621357.jpg

Rich M

WKR
Lotsa places around Okeechobee, some fenced, some not.

You can also hunt em off airboat w dogs if that tickles your fancy.