Florida Sambar

StevenH

FNG
We're getting pretty psyched up!
Having seen the lay of the land for at least a small portion of the island takes some of the mystery out of it.
Wish we had seen more than sign,but standing there and smelling the musk tells you that you are close.

I spent tonight working on some changes to the bicycle. I think I'm switching from a trailer to panniers. Those with a small pack should work well.

Well, we didn't end up punching any tags on our hunt, but we learned a lot and have already put in for the draw again. I think there were 9 or ten taken on our end of the island. One group ended up with a father son combo on back to back days which was pretty cool. The son's deer was really good size. Both were shot first thing at shooting light.

As for the island, it had recently had a pretty good burn and a lot of the underbrush had been cleaned out. Lots of good trees to set a climber on and sit for the day. They didn't want us doing any stalking or even moving around before maybe 9 or so and had to be out of the stands by mid afternoon. I would bring a bike next time. We hiked in several miles each morning and having the bikes would have really cut down on travel time. The areas that seemed to be the most successful we along the inland lakes that run down the island and the draws leading in to them.

Snakes. Lots of them. Tons of pygmy rattlers and water moccasins. I about threw out my back stepping over a palmetto bush with a very angry cottonmouth under it that i nearly stepped on. Never thought i'd do a one legged sideways broad jump with a full load out of heavy old climbing stand, rifle, and gear. I would definitely wear snake boots. Also, soak everything you bring in permithrin. The mosquitoes are insane. That, plus a thermacell (tie it to your pack or tree stand...) made them somewhat manageable.

We tried to pack light thinking we would be packing in to the island to set camp, but you are required to set up all in the same area next to the check in station. Knowing that know, we would have packed more like a car camping trip with a more comfortable setup at camp. Some guys brought pop up showers, water heaters, multiple tables, rocking chairs, full grills, multi-room tents, it was pretty comical.

Anyone want more info, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Our family group was drawn for this years hunt. Super excited although I have never been to the island. However, my father and brother in law have pulled many Sambar deer out of there. Any insight is appreciated as Im bringing my boat to carry my gear to and from. My main questions are anchoring and should I bring my climber or not. Any insight is appreciated.

I will be there this year for the hunt. Super excited as Ive been trying for years. I will be in a family group as the others have hunted this island successfully several times pulling big stags out. Anchoring my boat is a big question for me but im sure ill figure it out. Looking forward to the comradery and good times. Should I bring my climber or not? I definitly have snake boots and will have plenty of thermacells and sprays.

OP
Uttlc

Uttlc

FNG
I will be there this year for the hunt. Super excited as Ive been trying for years. I will be in a family group as the others have hunted this island successfully several times pulling big stags out. Anchoring my boat is a big question for me but im sure ill figure it out. Looking forward to the comradery and good times. Should I bring my climber or not? I definitly have snake boots and will have plenty of thermacells and sprays.

We hired a guy to charter us across the bay to get to the island, so we didn't have to worry about anchoring out. I don't think that anyone who did had any problems, and just anchored bow into the waves. As for the climber, you should definitely bring it. there are lots of pine trees and palms that make for great setups. There's a lot of brush down low, so getting above it really helps to see what's going on around you.

Another thought for bugs is to spray everything down with Permethrin before you go. Tent, clothes, boots, all of it. Get it good and wet, and once it dries it should be good for at least several weeks and really does help keep the bugs off.