Florida Trip/ Vacation Ideas

Gobbler36

WKR
whats up Rokslide? So I won a trip to Florida for the Wife and I in March of this year and we are looking at coming in a few days early, I noticed turkey season for the southern portion opens around the time we are there, is there any good info on public land hunts or are there any places that offer an unguided diy hunts on private land that are reasonably priced? same goes for hogs? interested in hunting both for a day or 2 while the wife is at the spa, also is there any flats fishing guides that youd reccomend around the FT Lauderdale area or possibly the Tampa/ St Pete area for the wife and I?
thanks in advance

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
This isn't flats fishing, but I was just down in that area for a work trip and spent a couple of days fly fishing the canals around the Tamiami Trail (highway through the Everglades) and couldn't recommend it more as an easy DIY add-on to a trip to south Florida if you have a rental car. A 5-7 weight rod, floating line and handful of flies and you can catch a wild mix of exotic and native fish from the canals right along the main roads. Tons of interesting fish, birds, gators and other wildlife!

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
This isn't flats fishing, but I was just down in that area for a work trip and spent a couple of days fly fishing the canals around the Tamiami Trail (highway through the Everglades) and couldn't recommend it more as an easy DIY add-on to a trip to south Florida if you have a rental car. A 5-7 weight rod, floating line and handful of flies and you can catch a wild mix of exotic and native fish from the canals right along the main roads. Tons of interesting fish, birds, gators and other wildlife!
this is a great tip! i will definitely be packing my fly rod!

Fatcamp

WKR
Nice! Wife and I are staying around Key Largo and plan to drive that highway into the Everglades. I don't flyfish. Can a small spinner and light rod work?

We are gonna bring our snorkeling gear as well but am so clueless as to spearfishing rules I'm not bringing our guns.

ETA: We were looking at the highway out of Homestead.

Rich M

WKR
FC - Yes - small spinner with beetle spins, small rapalas, small swim baits, etc.
I got nothing on spearfishing. We get a lot of snappers around the docks, canal mouths, and bridges in the Keys. Live shrimp on a 1/0 hook with a split shot should set you up fine.

OP - If it is your kind of thing - you can swim with the manatees in Crystal River. Kinda neat.

Also might still be some sailfish around out of Ft Lauderdale. They call it Sailfish Alley down there.

Not sure what you want to flats fish for - bonefish & permit or reds & trout & snook. Biscane Bay may have some bonefish/permit. Be better to get a charter in Tampa area for redfish.

Fatcamp

WKR
Id go out a day snorkeling at John Pennekamp state park

Oh ya! That one is on our list for sure. Both the charter boat and beaches in the park.

Fun fact: This is one of the toughest state parks in America to get a camping spot. They start taking reservations eleven! months in advance and hardly ever have cancellations. If we enjoy this trip we will play the reservation game and go next year with the kids.

Great advice so far, folks! Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Due to red tide the last couple of years, redfish, trout, and snook are closed through May 2020 in southwest Florida which includes all of Tampa Bay. You can still catch and release of course but many people are not fishing for them to avoid killing any due to swallowed hooks, etc.

March can still be windy and (relatively) chilly....I recommend south Fl/the keys in March both for fishing as well as weather.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jacack

WKR
if you dont find anything you want to book before your trip, look me up. I live in Naples and might be able to get you out. I am full time captain here but the guy i work for normaly is gone all of march so i should be free then and might be able to get you out fishing either offshore or in the back country.

Brendan

WKR
Have to bookmark this thread... My folks live in the Venice area and I'm down there every winter. I personally wasn't a fan of the Keys, but didn't go fishing. I did do a half day hog hunt (shoot?) a couple years ago at a fenced place in central Florida. Saving grace was I got to spot and stalk in on a group and shoot one with my bow, good practice and good pork...

Jacack

WKR
Due to red tide the last couple of years, redfish, trout, and snook are closed through May 2020 in southwest Florida which includes all of Tampa Bay. You can still catch and release of course but many people are not fishing for them to avoid killing any due to swallowed hooks, etc.

March can still be windy and (relatively) chilly....I recommend south Fl/the keys in March both for fishing as well as weather.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

not all of swfl, not down south of Naples basically . not that i keep any of those fish anyways.

Bogle

FNG
I've lived in FL my whole life and if you are in Ft Lauderdale I would tell you to drive across the state to Everglades City/ Chokoloskee or down to the southern most Keys. Chokoloskee/ Everglades City would be my first choice as the fishing should be heating up really good starting in March. Not to mention you dont have to be crazy good with a fly rod etc...... to get shots and you can get out of the wind. In addition, the fish are pretty receptive to most flies/lures, unlike the Keys. You should be able to get on Trout, Redfish, Snook and a few Tarpon. However, be warned it is like stepping back in time and there aren't a ton of accomodations. The Everglades City Rod and Gun Club is a good place to stay and eat if you do decide to go there. You can also access some good places via canoe and Kayak as well. The lower Keys are going to be much tougher and the skill level on the flats in the Keys are pretty tough. With that said; you will be fishing in some beautiful places with great ammenities and things to do at night. I currently live in Tampa and while the fishing is good, its not going to be close to the Everglades in the month of March. If you have any other questions hit me up, Ill be glad to try and help.

On a side note; if you do decide to go to the Everglades you must read "The Killing of Mr. Watson" before you go as you will be in many of the spots mentioned in the book. Its a good read.

Last edited:

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
"Shadow Country" by Peter Matthiessen--which combines "Killing Mr. Watson" and two other takes on the same subject--is my favorite book and added to the pleasures of the trip I described above, ending at Smallwood's Store on Chokoloskee.

Bogle

FNG
Thanks for the tip.ill have to read it. Its really an amazing place.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR

Here is a preview I found. Full copy in the mail on the way.

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
thanks for responding everyone,
After some research I’m finding Turkey is either super expensive on a ranch or roll the dice on public land. Seems like hog hunting is definitely in the cards and not too bad price wise, just would like some recommendations on where to go. Chasing a few ideas for the fishing, mainly wanting to feel the wrath of a snook and redfish again as I use to live in Tampa but I will be over on the Ft Lauderdale side for this trip.