Florida Wild Hog

OP
B
Buckeyebucks , how did your hunt go ? Hopefully you got a pig or two and have enjoyed a couple of meals.
I ended up not going on this trip. The outfitter I was gonna go with was way more than what I initially thought. It was gonna cost me in excess of 500 dollars to go on the hunt with my 4 year old tagging along and them processing meat. I chose not to go now. Will save for it this year and hopefully go next time we head to Florida. Thank you for everyone’s information.

I don’t think I’d pay for a hog hunt unless I wanted to shoot them at night with nods or thermals or machine guns etc and didn’t own the toys myself. So many everywhere that it makes more sense just to go somewhere free and public.

Shrek

WKR
I don’t think I’d pay for a hog hunt unless I wanted to shoot them at night with nods or thermals or machine guns etc and didn’t own the toys myself. So many everywhere that it makes more sense just to go somewhere free and public.
If you want to hunt them this time of year you will. The WMAs have seasons and are closed.

Ga is open for them during turkey season (march through now) with a muzzleloader or bow or crossbow or shotgun. And Has a 2 week hog season once turkey is over on the wma’s during which you can use cernterfire, shotgun ml, archery etc. Some wmas allow dogs some don’t. You can hunt hogs on public in ga from August/September- may. Not much you can do on them on public land in June and July. Stuck hunting private in June and July. Buts it’s also 90-100 degrees so why bother

The idea of driving past the pigs you will see in the side of I95 through the altamaha etc to pay to shoot some another few hours south doesn’t compute. Maybe if your driving up from Miami Florida but not from
Miami Ohio or wherever this buckeye OP lives.

Last edited:

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I agree we have wild pigs galore in Florida and a liberal year round hunting season on private land because they are considered livestock.

State of Florida does have WMA’s with limits and seasons , but that’s state land.

When you come to Florida to hunt on private property and the outfitter asks for a hunting fee, I personally can understand why. I don’t do pay hunts or any hunts actually. I do pay $7500 a year for my lease. I use from 66 down to 36 bags of corn a month depending on how many feeders I run, max of 11 x 6 bags to fill each feeder. Call the corn expense $400 a month x 12 equals $4800 a year. Now talk upkeep and gas and labor to fill feeders, fix broken feeders and stands and throw protein in there for deer.

Point is ? Florida hunting is costly because land is limited, we’re a sand bar with a swamp in the middle.

So I see the outfitters point.

My point ? South Florida is not the place to hunt boar if you’re on a budget. I’d try Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma or Texas. Even California or Hawaii. Plenty of opportunities for less money than Florida. Texas actually can get costly on a high fence outfit I hear ?

In any event, there is always a cause for the reason why. The cause is, it’s expensive down here and not so much elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Hiking around public ground in Oklahoma over a few days is good exercise but any hogs killed will be sheer luck as they have no reliable pattern outside of private land with feeders. I can walk to fresh hog sign within 5 minutes of my house but I've only seen three hogs in 20 years and I shot all three of them. My dogs help keep them at a distance.

Shrek

WKR
I agree we have wild pigs galore in Florida and a liberal year round hunting season on private land because they are considered livestock.

State of Florida does have WMA’s with limits and seasons , but that’s state land.

When you come to Florida to hunt on private property and the outfitter asks for a hunting fee, I personally can understand why. I don’t do pay hunts or any hunts actually. I do pay $7500 a year for my lease. I use from 66 down to 36 bags of corn a month depending on how many feeders I run, max of 11 x 6 bags to fill each feeder. Call the corn expense $400 a month x 12 equals $4800 a year. Now talk upkeep and gas and labor to fill feeders, fix broken feeders and stands and throw protein in there for deer.

Point is ? Florida hunting is costly because land is limited, we’re a sand bar with a swamp in the middle.

So I see the outfitters point.

My point ? South Florida is not the place to hunt boar if you’re on a budget. I’d try Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Oklahoma or Texas. Even California or Hawaii. Plenty of opportunities for less money than Florida. Texas actually can get costly on a high fence outfit I hear ?

In any event, there is always a cause for the reason why. The cause is, it’s expensive down here and not so much elsewhere.

This is a great breakdown of the how much it costs to hunt in Florida and much of the south. It’s my experience also but I lease in Georgia.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great breakdown of the how much it costs to hunt in Florida and much of the south. It’s my experience also but I lease in Georgia.

When you look at it, it’s very sad our passion and way of feeding our family organic protein costs far more than store bought protein loaded with chemicals, dyes, antibiotics and steroids.

Been in Florida my entire life. I've heard that pigs can carry it, but don't know anyone personally who has ever had an issue. Some use gloves, some don't. Do whatever makes you comfortable.
Only ever had one that had any meat issues. 125lb boar that was run with dogs. He was a mean SOB that cut up several dogs. Finally gave up trying to catch him and shot him crossing a road the second day of running. Meat had a rank BO smell to it when cooked.
No idea how many others we've eaten, including 300+ lb boars, that were all good pork. Wild pork backstrap is my wife's favorite game meat I bring home.

Shrek

WKR
I had some link sausage from a stinking boar this week that I fried in a pan instead of grilling. Despite having been hung for 28 days I got a whiff of the stink. I almost couldn’t eat it. I’ve got over 80lbs of this so it’ll all be grilled from here on. Usually I just dump stinky boars but I was talked into trying having it aged. It has mostly worked but not 100%.

Would have to agree, There are spots in North Florida, not WMA's, you can find hogs and if you time it right you could hunt turkey as well. All public land. Get ONX and research.