Flush cups on side of stock. Sling carry?

SDHNTR

WKR
So I just got a new rifle, that unbeknownst to me had flush cups installed on the side of the stock. I think they are unsightly and highly dysfunctional, so far. But I’m old school and generally frown on tactical stuff crossing over into hunting. I really want learn to like this system as it’s the only thing that bothers me on this otherwise fantastic rifle. Please help sell me on this carry method.

Thus far it feels incredibly awkward to me. I’m not sure if that’s just because it’s new, or if it genuinely is awkward. When slung over one shoulder, being attached to the side of the stock, it makes the rifle sit horizontally under my arm. What’s the point of that? Then either the scope or the trigger guard is banging into my side body, depending on which side I’m carrying it on. It makes the rifle rotate 90 degrees, instead of tucking up under your arm with a slimmer profile, the traditional way. The only place I can see where it might work is if you have the gun slung diagonally across your back with your head through the sling. Which is pointless for quick access and I almost always hunt with a backpack on. How is that gonna work? Are these things just not intended for hunting use? If so, I may just break out the grinder and Bondo.

Last edited:

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I love it and have it on all of my rifles. It keeps the bolt and turrets from jabbing me when slung over my back. Carrying how you’re describing may not be the best. I also love it for my black rifles because I carry it to my chest and use it to press through heavy brush, but it wouldn’t be a quick draw scenario. I bet someone way tacticooler than myself could give a better explanation.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I love it and have it on all of my rifles. It keeps the bolt and turrets from jabbing me when slung over my back. Carrying how you’re describing may not be the best. I also love it for my black rifles because I carry it to my chest and use it to press through heavy brush, but it wouldn’t be a quick draw scenario. I bet someone way tacticooler than myself could give a better explanation.
Do you not hunt with a backpack? And/or are you not concerned with quick access?

Wrench

WKR
I have them in two spots on my game scout and in standard locations on others. The cups, when on use are just like anything else, but when not its nothing to protrude into my bags.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Do you not hunt with a backpack? And/or are you not concerned with quick access?
I usually use an eberlestock for coyotes, deer and prairie dogs. I carry my AR when I’m shed hunting in case wolves cause problems with my dog or a random coyote. In either scenario I like to think that high speed won’t be life or death... for me. Also, the sling I use has a clip in the middle that is easy to remove. A little faster than the swivels themselves I suppose. It would be pretty fast if need be but not fast enough for quick snap shots, but no shoulder option ever is.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love it and have it on all of my rifles. It keeps the bolt and turrets from jabbing me when slung over my back.

How is your bolt and turrets jabbing you? I use regular swivel stud locations and the floorplate rides on my back or chest.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
How is your bolt and turrets jabbing you? I use regular swivel stud locations and the floorplate rides on my back or chest.
They don’t because I use flush cups lol. Seriously though it was probably mostly magazines that were jabbing me. I remember there being a time when my bolt knob would h it my left rib when I would sling it crossing my chest for longer carries or dragging a deer. Hard to picture but the butt of the gun would be near my left hip and the sling on my right shoulder.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I usually use an eberlestock for coyotes, deer and prairie dogs. I carry my AR when I’m shed hunting in case wolves cause problems with my dog or a random coyote. In either scenario I like to think that high speed won’t be life or death... for me. Also, the sling I use has a clip in the middle that is easy to remove. A little faster than the swivels themselves I suppose. It would be pretty fast if need be but not fast enough for quick snap shots, but no shoulder option ever is.
So you carry it across the top of your backpack? I’m confused.

N2TRKYS

WKR
They don’t because I use flush cups lol. Seriously though it was probably mostly magazines that were jabbing me. I remember there being a time when my bolt knob would h it my left rib when I would sling it crossing my chest for longer carries or dragging a deer. Hard to picture but the butt of the gun would be near my left hip and the sling on my right shoulder.

Lol

Most of my walking is done with my rifle either slung across my back or slung across my chest. I'm very familiar with the carry. Never had those issues, though. Glad you found a solution that works.

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Sling the rifle across your chest. Quick access, jab-free carry, ready support when taking the shot. Can’t complain about that.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a flush cup fan. With my sling removed (which it normally is), I have a slick rifle stock with no protruding sling studs. When I'm hunting, the gun rides in a Stone Glacier harness attached to the pack, reasonably quick access.

With a sling on the gun, I can sling across my body on my back or chest comfortably, which leaves me both hands available for crawling or rock scrambling.

If I wanted really quick access with a pack on, I could sling the rifle across my chest like normal, right over the pack straps. Essentially carrying it at a low ready, but secure in case I need to drop it. I don't hunt like this, but have humped lots of miles with an M4 carried this way.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I carry binoculars on my chest, and use them far more often than the rifle itself. You guys answered my question. I got no use for these things.

Sorry to bump a 2 year old thread but I’ve never used a flush cup sling myself. My HMR has flush cups on both sides of stock. I always carry my rifle on my shoulder with a backpack on my back. I have sling keeper on backpack strap that keeps sling from sliding off.

So will flush cup sling attached to the left side of stock work if I’m wearing a back pack? Seems the scope would be jamming into my backpack. I’m just deciding if there is any benefit to using flush cups vs the sling studs.

I like the side flush cups for rifles that I have quick adjust slings on. I can tighten the sling down and it’s snug on the side while shooting instead of under the forearm or dangling loose.