Flusher Pointer Combo?

Got an in on a hunting line golden that needs rehoming...6 months old and been introduced to birds. I have a 5 year old GWP and know nothing about flushing dogs. My pointer ranges pretty far and conceptually a close ranging flusher could be an asset. I hunt primarily pheasants in CO, KS and NE. Anyone have thoughts or resources to learn more? Anyone with experience in this department? Thanks!

KurtR

WKR
Let the gwp range and point the birds if they hold have the golden walk at heel and sit to shot and do the retrieving . The golden will learn real quick when the other dog goes on point there is a bird and run up and flush and if he doesnt wait that can be a problem if your not in range. Having him at heel will keep that from happening.

WKR
I'd hunt them at different times depending on the terrain you are in. I would not hunt a flusher with a pointer personally. I do have two pointers and rotating them works great for keeping them fresh on multiple day hunts though.

Wrench

WKR
I've mixed them and it really can be awesome.....or a train wreck. Personalities, point honor.....let alone trying to hold a running bird like pheasant all play into the situation.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Springer Spaniel and a Pointer. I never hunt them together. I hunt grouse and woodcock in September/October and pheasants and quail November through January. Forcing a flushing dog to heal only to retrieve birds is not utilizing a well bred flushing dog. I personally do not like hunting my Pointer in big CRP fields for pheasants. My Springer really shines there. My Pointer is preferred for big running hunting grouse in the woods and quail in big open country.

I try to hunt each dog in terrain they do well in and on birds they handle better. I have shot plenty of pheasants over my Pointer and plenty of grouse over my Springer, I just prefer it the other way around. Hunting them seperately also helps to keep them fresh and not wear them out.

Yooper25

FNG
Standing stone kennels has some YouTube videos on this topic and they usually have solid advice. You could always hunt one at a time especially when it's hot in the early season so they have a chance to cool down.

I personally don’t have either (yet) but I hunt quite a bit over both while pheasant hunting. I personally have never seen it workout to well. I know guys who won’t run pointers when they’re flushers there because they don’t want to introduce bad habits. Whether that is true or not I do not know, just something to think about.

TSAMP

WKR
Get the dog if you'd like it but do so with the understanding you just want another dog, it will not supercharge your hunting or give you any real advantages besides as others mention, you now have two dogs to rotate.

Reactions: WCB

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I always hunt my pointers with my buddies lab. Works great as long as your flusher works close. I wouldn’t want to hunt any other way at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Grew up hunting with Springers and Labs. My wife almost exclusively grew up around pointers. So for a little bit we had both until my Springer died. My dad still runs Springers. When we hunt them together we keep them separate. Pointers (French Brits) work in front of my wife and I and my dads dogs work by him and whoever is on his side. IMO more of a hassle with no up side unless maybe your pointer sucks at retrieving.

If you spent a good deal of time training for it maybe you would find a benefit but I don't see it.