Fluting a factory barrel

ChrisAU

WKR
I think I'm going to send a Bergara B14 to Karl for some work. Pretty excited about it tbh. I'm a slut for unique good looking rifles.

Here are my 1st 3 shots after reassembly and bore sighted after the fluting of my 300 win mag above..100yds...
20200813_191226.jpg

Also note 1st time I had shot a 8lb 300 win mag too...

On my first custom rifle the gunsmith had kampfeld spiral flute my bartlein #3. It looked good but the rifle never shot very consistently. The gunsmith told me bartlein wouldn’t stand behind it and he typically has a hard time standing behind fluted sporter contours. He chambered another barrel I provided for free.

Can’t say if it was the fluting or not but I have heard similar things from numerous smiths. I have struggled a bit with 2 different spiral fluted seekins havak barrels as well.

Fluting for any reason other than to reach a weight goal doesn’t make sense to me. All of the decorative fluting options people do these days is akin to putting a body kit, gaudy stickers, and a big spoiler on a Honda Civic.

excaliber

WKR
I think it wouldn't be a good idea to flute a Remington factory barrel. The contour is too light IMHO to gamble with. It will cost more than the barrel is worth to flute that thing. Remington sporter barrels are not what I would call quality barrels. Fluting it may make it worse.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I have found that when I have a gun that shoots exceptionally well, I don't touch it. Guns that have shot well pre-thread have not shot the same after threading. Adding a can changes things too. Research barrel harmonics for more info. It could be a crapshoot....

Trackselk

WKR
What's some opinions on fluting a 22 creedmoor with Kimbers light profile, but cut down to 17"? Smaller bore and thicker at the muzzle helping with rigidity. I'm looking for weight loss, so I wonder if Karl would get much off of a barrel that short anyhow? I see that Uberlight thread where Luke still shot MOA with his 16" with a big (ish) bore (.338?). Maybe he got lucky?
This would probably be with a Lilja barrel, and they won't flute the thin profiles, which is telling...

BjornF16

WKR
I wonder how many of those fluted barrels had a 10 or 20 shot group before and after fluting to compare?

FWIW, Shilen won’t warranty any barrel that gets fluted.

Trackselk

WKR
I wonder how many of those fluted barrels had a 10 or 20 shot group before and after fluting to compare?

FWIW, Shilen won’t warranty any barrel that gets fluted.
Makes sense, and good point.
I would think that a thin 22-24" barrel would be exponentially more likely to be ruined than a thicker 16-18" barrel, due to rigidity, but who knows.