Fly, Drive, Run & Gun Elk - last minute questions

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t seen this combination of conditions in one thread before, and I research RS like I’m studying for Medical Boards. So here’s a couple last minute gear and weather questions on my hunt less than a month away.

After putting it off 2 years for lack of hunt partners then C19, I booked (solo) SouthWest Air and a rental (Wrangler) for CO 2nd season elk. I can DM the initial units, and mountains if asked. Generally this is South Central and 8 to 11k. Wilderness area and steep. I did a short hunt in there a few years ago, So I’m a Little familiar with one drainage. Right, yes a noob. I know.

Since I wanted to be flexible, and optimize the cost and convenience while traveling, my kit is what you could call backcountry plus. I have all backpack gear, in case it makes sense to spike out. But my rental is capable enough I hope to explore trailheads dayhununtil I’m seeing game. So there is some gear I can get in my luggage that won’t ever leave the truck camp site should I choose to pack in.

If it helps or would be of interest I can post my packing list. Just ask.

MY QUESTIONS:

Shovels. In 2nd season at those elevations, should I bring a snow shovel (under 24 oz) for truck camp? On my pack if I spike camp? Should I bring a poop trowel? Or just dig a hole with my boot heel?

Overboot/Camp shoe. Has anyone packed in Arctic Shield or similar overboots to wear glassing or stand hunting, and also used them as a camp shoe at night (assuming snow here)? If no, is a camp shoe (Croc??) a worthless idea in the late season?

Woodstove wood. Should I grab some bundles of split camp wood on my way to have in the Jeep to save time looking for it? This is for a tent stove. I’m aware there are fire regs to be observed and I will be abiding by them. Should I bring my Gerber combo wood/meat saw?

Tire Chains. Can they be rented? Where? As long as I asking, come alongs, hilift jacks? Does Home Depot or any hardware rent any of this stuff?

Be kind. I know I’m possibly in for a shit show. But this is what I like about RS, knowledgeable, generous with info, and not that brutal about dumb questions.

Ok, please let me have it. 😑

11boo

WKR
First, have a great time.
you would get a lot more input if this was in elk hunting.

I have never done the overshoe thing, but always take camp shoes.

the firewood will likely not fit Your firebox.

A shovel might be bought locally and have use in camp and on the trail.

Chain rental is unlikely same with the high lift.

Good luck!

Netherman

WKR
I've hunted CO second rifle and will be again this year (deer). I think you've got a good plan staying mobile and day hunting while looking and learning the area.

To answer your questions:

Shovel: I would bring it if it fits/works with your travel plan. That time of year it could be 65* and sunny or 0* and foot or more of snow. I brought a poop shovel once and found flipping a rock, log, ect much simpler. It now sits in a drawer.

Overboot: I have a pair and brought them one year but found them to be bulky and generally too much of a hassle to be worth it. Personally, I don't glass for more than 2 hours at a time so based on your hunt style you may find them worth carrying. I'd bring the crocs. Will be nice if you get a mild weather trip or just to let your feet air out while driving.

Woodstove Wood: We will be buying wood for our camp (wall tent). I'd rather spend the my time looking for animals than wood. If your camp setup is a packable stove I would buy a bundle or two to leave in the jeep and pick up a stack of smaller stuff on your travels. You shouldn't need much as you won't be burning it all night long. I bring a saw and fixed knife for processing wood in a packable stove.

Tire Chains: I'd rather have the chains than shovel. I've never looked into rentals, but with the mandatory chain areas on highways it might be worth asking the car rental company. If you can't find any and get in a bind you can always air down, but then you'll be looking for somewhere to air back up...

OP
Missahba

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
First, have a great time.
you would get a lot more input if this was in elk hunting.

I have never done the overshoe thing, but always take camp shoes.

the firewood will likely not fit Your firebox.

A shovel might be bought locally and have use in camp and on the trail.

Chain rental is unlikely same with the high lift.

Good luck!
Thank you. I wasn’t thinking about the firebox size. You’re 100% right. What was concerning me was in the event of cold and snow when I’ll need the heat, dead down wood will be covered up. I will need the saw no matter what. Maybe the compact hatchet too if it doesn’t put me over airline weight. I need to start packing and weighing luggage.

I found shovels on backcountry.com and moosejaw that look functional and not too pricy.

WTFJohn

WKR
Thank you. I wasn’t thinking about the firebox size. You’re 100% right. What was concerning me was in the event of cold and snow when I’ll need the heat, dead down wood will be covered up. I will need the saw no matter what. Maybe the compact hatchet too if it doesn’t put me over airline weight. I need to start packing and weighing luggage.

I found shovels on backcountry.com and moosejaw that look functional and not too pricy.

Don't buy from Backcountry, they sued a lot of small businesses across the country a few years ago in an attempt to trademark the work backcountry.

I wouldn't hunt with a snow shovel, wasted weight. I might have an e-tool (folding NATO style shovel) or regular snow shovel in the truck though.

Overboots may be nice for day hunts/if it's really cold. I wouldn't pack them on a backpack hunt. Camp shoes are nice, I have some puffy ones with rubber bottoms that are good if there is no snow.

Silky saw or similar is better than bringing pre-spilt stuff.

Tire chains can be bought some places and returned if the bag is unopened and they are unused.

Davis tent has rentals for stoves and tents. Wildness exchange may have chains and they are always recommended. Shovel and tow straps are also good to have.