Fly Fishing, Alaska

Trial153

WKR
I am looking recommendations for a fly in Lodge for a mid summer fly fishing trip, salmon( silvers mostly but whatever is running ) and trout in Alaska. Would like it to be remote, decent facilities and good fishing. Has to be fly in location , Has to be able to accommodate 10-12 people for the trip. Looking for a 5-6 day trip in neighborhood of 5-6K person, plus float plane fees ect...
Going to book this for summer 2024
Anyone have some first hand experiences and recommendations?

Last edited:

ColeyG

WKR
Frigate Travel is run by Justin and Kate Crump, two of the coolest people and most talented anglers I've met. Their operation is top notch. Based out of Bristol Bay, King Salmon, AK. They do a combination of fly out fishing for salmon and world-class trout.

When you go will dictate what is available with regard to salmon. Kings are the first to show up in that neighborhood in May and then it is a salmon parade for the rest of the summer.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
I should also ask if anyone has specific booking agents that they have used and would or wouldn’t recon for fishing trips like this.

JeffP_Or

WKR
@ColeyG beat me to it with the Frigate recommendation; they used to only run the Frigate trips but bought the lodge they are working out of a few years ago and have been upgrading/running that now.

Worked with FlyWater Travel out of Ashland, Or for several trips to the salt flats; they have a full gamut of trips/places and have reps traveling to them before booking to them. They have books flights, worked up itineraries, gear lists etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

I spent 20 years guiding in Bristol Bay, last year was my final season. Sold the place to Kate and Justin. As noted they are great anglers and fun to fish with. For years we worked together, if we needed extra guides we called them if they needed help they called us.
I think it was Kate’s first year up there, years ago, saw her smack a bear on the nose with a four foot stick.
Frigate now will be operating out of the best location on the Naknek.
The other outfit I would look at is Phil Byrd’s operation further down the peninsula. He is arguably on the best river in Alaska to fly fish kings. Phil is also a very good friend and an exceptional guide and outfitter. Ano nonsense guy who will tell you you suck, get you dialed in and you’re friends for life. Phil’s place is Lava Creek Lodge. He’s getting some great reviews.

Last edited:
Run timing can very dramatically based on location. Listen closely to the outfitters when you talk to them. Always get them to define the peak of the run for the species you want. Kate and Justin fish kings on both the Naknek and the Nush. The rivers aren’t 30 miles apart but the Nush run is over before the Nak has peaked.
Shoulder seasons can be fine. On the Naknek we start catching silvers on about 25 July, but it would be slow fishing if you targeted silvers and ignored kings. Two weeks later, good anglers can be worn out by lunch time catching silvers.

gbflyer

WKR
@ColeyG beat me to it with the Frigate recommendation; they used to only run the Frigate trips but bought the lodge they are working out of a few years ago and have been upgrading/running that now.

Worked with FlyWater Travel out of Ashland, Or for several trips to the salt flats; they have a full gamut of trips/places and have reps traveling to them before booking to them. They have books flights, worked up itineraries, gear lists etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

Good luck and enjoy!

Morrish is a good dude. They used to book our place when he first got Flywater going.

For the OP, Take all the advice you can get from salmonchaser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the day I did a little guiding up there. It’s not what you are looking for (not lodge based) but damn it’s crazy how good the fly fishing was. Salmon and trout. Way better than anything I’ve done in the lower 48.

Sounds like you have some great recommendations.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Thank you all, looking into all our options right now and started reaching out to some lodges.

Keep ‘em coming, always appreciate the time and effort when someone is willing to share their experiences.
Thank you

Kate and Justin’s location offers the best of both worlds. The lodge was built before there was a road, I got tired of bad weather problems so I built a road about 14 years ago.
For Kate that means you can always fish the river if you cant fly a particular day, or fish till the fog clears at 1000 hours then fly. Many pure fly out lodges are on lakes that offer little fishing if you can’t fly. Also some days you can’t get to the lodge or get to king Salmon or Dillingham for your flight home.
Rare to have six days in a row that don’t have flying impacted by weather.
Kate and Justin have a dock, built that also, will accommodate a float plane. No matter what their boats can be back at the dock in 15 minutes. Foggy, go fish, it starts to lift, turn and burn. Then fly out.
Op mentioned silvers, target mid August. Kate and Justin know a place that Phil and I fish you can fly to. Most guys tap out before the day is over on silvers.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Thanks everyone . I have the location narrowed down, a couple possibles in the area on the list right now and a couple more appointments to speak with the outfitters. Hopefully I can get in nailed down to a comfortable choice and start getting deposits in. Even though it’s two years out I would like to flesh it all out sooner rather then later.
Appreciate it

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Guys just to close this out. Appreciate all the info recommendations on here and other places as well. Have had ton of PMs and phone calls …this world of ours really is pretty small when it comes down to it.
In any event I realized that I needed to scale back the number a bit. it seemed was like the places that could handle 10-12 were a bit to commercial for me. I cut the number back to 8 and went from there, even that was little larger then some of the places that interested me would handle.
I decided to book a week with Brad Waitman. In talking with him about what we are looking for and speaking to bunch of guys that fished with him several times it checked all my boxes. Seems like a great guy and looks like nice place.

Again thank you everyone.

Last edited:
Kvichak is a great river in and of itself. Lots of great fishing if you can’t fly. Location is good for quick access to all the famous streams in the area, you’ll have a great trip.