Fly fishing mountain lakes

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone bring their fly rods and fish mountain lakes when nothings goin on in the elk woods? Wondering if it’s a waste to pack or worth it!

Mark.c

FNG
I have a compact and light weight spin cast rod/reel for backpacking trips. There are similar fly rods. Personally I think it’s a great idea as an alternative activity if you harvest early or have some downtime.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Some of the best fishing I've ever had is in the most remote places most won't hike into. Taking a few minutes for a midday cast is always a nice break. I always have a rod in camp.

OP
joel_sledz

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the best fishing I've ever had is in the most remote places most won't hike into. Taking a few minutes for a midday cast is always a nice break. I always have a rod in camp.
What type of flies are most common? Trying not to pack my entire case.

Steelhead

FNG
I always have a rod and handful of flies if I'm anywhere near water. if I know the lake is going to be on the larger/deeper size I'll bring a light spinning rig and a few Panther Martins. The joy of the tug on the line and a trout for lunch or dinner is well worth the weight IMO. Whack a grouse while your at it and feel blessed with one of the best backcountry meals on earth. Bring butter.

For those that do, any recommendations on flies
I always have a rod and handful of flies if I'm anywhere near water. if I know the lake is going to be on the larger/deeper size I'll bring a light spinning rig and a few Panther Martins. The joy of the tug on the line and a trout for lunch or dinner is well worth the weight IMO. Whack a grouse while your at it and feel blessed with one of the best backcountry meals on earth. Bring butter.
Anybody ever experiment with powdered butter?

I add powdered butter to freeze dried meals sometimes to get some more calories. Havent cooked fish with it before.

Wooly buggers, hoppers, a few nymphs for me.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
If there is water close by and it doesn't interfere with the hunt-I will always carry a fly rod and will never be without black Wooly Buggers in various sizes.

Trr15

WKR
I love fishing high alpine lakes. Take my kids up high every June just as the ice is coming off and hammer hammer trout. On a goat hunt last September and I got some fishing in after we tagged out. Tenkara setups works great and take up little room in your pack. Throw in a small box of flies and you’re set.

Several companies make 6 PC flyrods (orvis Clearwater is a decent cheapy). Rod, real, box of flies and barebones basics fits in a pack or clothes box and weighs almost nothing. I think it's a great idea and always pack mine but haven't yet actually gotten it out.

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah sometimes on more mellow rest days. The high mountain lakes seem to always be full of tiny trout that will smash almost any dry fly. Never seem to catch any big ones though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Absolutely but I do t like fly fishing on lakes so if a lake is the destination action I like a spinner.

Packed a spinning rod with a few rooster tails into our spike camp a few years ago. We were not that high. About 9700. Fish acted like they had never seen a lure in their life. I almost felt guilty catching one 14" trout after another. Nice way to spend a few hours mid-day.