Fly Fishing Yellowstone

I hit the mouth of agate creek that drains into the Yellowstone years ago. It was the most nonstop trout action I’ve ever experienced. 9/10 cast no matter what fly would land a fish. It was fun for about an hour but once my arm started getting sore I moved on. Normally I wouldn’t give up a location, but if I remember right it was a 7 mile hike in so if you want to walk in more power to you.

Very well done video. Thank you for posting it here.
The scenery there is soul changing. Finally got the family there this past summer. Was there as a kid but as an adult it was a religious experience. Didn’t get to fish as we were trying to pack in as much park as we could without going full Griswald.
Before I’m too old to do it I will get back and go, so help me.
Thanks again for the vid. Let’s me experience it vicariously.

Looks like fun thanks for sharing! I'd love to get up to Yellowstone and fish but always seem to get hung up in Casper or Lander and run out of time. There's too much good fishing along my routes lol.

Purple Haze!! Cashe and Pebble are nice walks for good fish. Not sure what it is about the Purple Haze. I caught 30+ on one. It was a mangled mess but still got hits as the sun went down on the Hellroaring. Good times.

Purple haze is my secret weapon on small streams before the salmon show. Grayling Char and Rainbows all like it. Still need to throw mice for big fish over 24” but I love PH.

mlgc20

WKR
Spinning fisherman here (don't judge me). Great video! Thanks for sharing. I do at least one backcountry fishing trip to Yellowstone every year. I've been to all those places you guys were. Even recognized some specific rocks. The quality of fishing in and around Yellowstone is unreal. And as you mentioned, if you get off the road a little bit, you will almost never see a person. I've hiked the trail from Hellroaring trail head all way to Gardiner multiple times. And I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen on that route. And maybe only 1 or 2 fisherman. Slough Creek can be hit or miss with the people. I've been up there with a fairly steady stream of day hiking fisherman coming through when we stayed in the second meadow. But, we had it all to ourselves first thing in the morning and in the evening. I look forward to Yellowstone every year. Helps me make it through, waiting for hunting season.

I never criticize a spin fisherman. I often will take a life long fly guy to a windy spot for silver salmon. Getting in range with flies typically spooks the silvers. Hand them a spinning rod and watch them struggle. Humility can be a tough lesson. After 20 years guiding in my opinion it’s easiest to make a good spin fisherman into a good enough fly fisherman to have a fun day. Much harder to get a guy who has only fly fished throwing spinners. But I’m drifting away from the post.

Allenvdb

FNG
Awesome video! Definitely a place that I have always wanted to visit/fish. Hopefully in the near future I can make it out there.

4dcfries

FNG
Take this to the bank...if you go bird hunting in Mexico..take Nick with you. You'll bang birds and get home with your scalp intact.
On the Fly Mag is