Fly Fishing

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure which forum this would actually go in so here it be. I'm gonna start getting more into fly fishing. I've got a few hatchery's and below lake dam locations I can hit for 2-3 pound trout here in Missouri but then I plan on hitting Idaho for bear/fishing trips which means quite a bit bigger fish. I have a 5-6wt rod. My question is, would it be best to match the rod with 6wt line or should I go to a 7wt line for Idaho fish? Idaho is where I plan on doing most of my fly fishing. I know by upping a weight class on line that it might be off balance a tick but I can't imagine it would be drastic. Thanks!

6wt would be better over 7wt on that rod. It’s a good weight for fish that size anyway, it will come down to the leader and how you control it on the hook over weight of the line for the most part. If you handle the rod right you can catch some really big fish on a 6wt rod.

kopecsean

FNG
5-weight last weekend backpacking in the Sawtooths. Got some brute cutthroats up there!
590c28637b51f198cdcd1c4dcb406896.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
6wt would be better over 7wt on that rod. It’s a good weight for fish that size anyway, it will come down to the leader and how you control it on the hook over weight of the line for the most part. If you handle the rod right you can catch some really big fish on a 6wt rod.
Thank you man! I'll keep it 6wt then.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
5-weight last weekend backpacking in the Sawtooths. Got some brute cutthroats up there!
590c28637b51f198cdcd1c4dcb406896.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Beautiful fish! Congrats!! Can't wait to get my hands on a few!

JFK

WKR
Better to match the line weight to the weight of the rod. Tippet is what you can and should change based on style of fishing, size of fish, etc. you can do a lot with a 5wt.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Never needed more than a 5wt for any trout fishing in Idaho or Montana. Had some epic battles though. Did loose a big brown in heavy river flow that almost spooled me twice, but I don't think a 9 wt would have landed that fish.

Vandy321

WKR
5wt rod is just fine for big trout.

Unless you're talking the fatties feasting on mysis at the spillway pools, then I may go 7 wt rod. But a 7wt fly line on a 5wt rod will do nothing extra for fighting fish (1 line size over may help a some rods cast better) its the rod weight and tippet that you should be concerned with, fly line weight more related to casting, you fight the fish with rod and tippet is the limfac.

Wouldn't recommend putting 7wt line on a 5wt rod.

Attachments

• 20200530_161133.jpg
    20200530_161133.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 28

DEd

FNG
I would not recommend putting 7 weight line on that rod, but it kind of depends on the rod too. Some rods can handle two or even three line sizes over what is written on the blank, but those are usually shorter saltwater rods.

Typically a 5/6 rod should be matched with 5 or 6 line. I like to put 6 weight double taper on my 5/6 rod as it makes roll casting a breezy option. However, sometimes a weight forward 5 weight line is better, especially when casting dry fly patterns on longer leaders.

Without a doubt a 6 weight is more than enough rod to land any trout you hook in Idaho, and a 5 weigh is too.

There is not much trout fishing i cannot do with a 5 or 6 wt rod. my goto everyday everything rod is a 9'6" 6 wt. I can use it on any trout stream or lake and even use it for some steelhead fishing. I have a similar 5 wt rod that I use for most condititions too especially when i know i am only throwing dry flies. i have over 40 fly rods but those two are the rods i generally goto. sure there are times i am fishing small streams and i have small handful of 3-4 wt rods and i have bigger rods too for bigger bugs and bigger fish. but the 5 and the 6 wt are almost always in my truck and just the do-all rods i usually go to. that being said i would usually try and stay true to the rod when choosing line size. of course there are variations in the way they are measured and how you like to cast but for the most part they get it right.

M22

FNG
Not sure which forum this would actually go in so here it be. I'm gonna start getting more into fly fishing. I've got a few hatchery's and below lake dam locations I can hit for 2-3 pound trout here in Missouri but then I plan on hitting Idaho for bear/fishing trips which means quite a bit bigger fish. I have a 5-6wt rod. My question is, would it be best to match the rod with 6wt line or should I go to a 7wt line for Idaho fish? Idaho is where I plan on doing most of my fly fishing. I know by upping a weight class on line that it might be off balance a tick but I can't imagine it would be drastic. Thanks!

As others have said, for a 5-6wt rod, going with 5lb 5x leader and 5lb 5x tippet is a solid rig for ID trout angling, and the majority of trout streams in the Western U.S.

Rich M

WKR
5 or 6 WT is plenty for trout. A 3 or 4 pound trout is big.

Steelhead, salmon, salt water fish need 8 or more but not a trout.

Heavier line aids in casting but what you have will be fine for a few trips to see what needs changing, if anything.

OP
JordanAdams

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
5wt rod is just fine for big trout.

Unless you're talking the fatties feasting on mysis at the spillway pools, then I may go 7 wt rod. But a 7wt fly line on a 5wt rod will do nothing extra for fighting fish (1 line size over may help a some rods cast better) its the rod weight and tippet that you should be concerned with, fly line weight more related to casting, you fight the fish with rod and tippet is the limfac.

Wouldn't recommend putting 7wt line on a 5wt rod.
Thank you for the info! Great fish as well!