Fly in outfitters

Does anyone know of any fly in outfitters in Alaska that are booking for next year?

We would like to fly out of Tok and hunt the 40 mile herd however it looks like it’s going to be very difficult to get in with 40 mile air and Tok air has such a bad reputation we would prefer to go with someone else. Are their any other outfitters in the area?

We are open to other locations but with the units around Kotzbue being closed it seems like a lot of people that were available aren’t anymore. I think we have talked to 3 outfits out of the Kotzbue area and none are flying hunters in.

Anybody got someone they would recommend?

VernAK

WKR
Golden Eagle Outfitters is a very reputable firm operating out of Delta Jct and Kotzebue. They don't fly into the heart of the 40 Mile Country but do get into some of the caribou country.

You are up against the same problem thousands of other hunters are experiencing. The demand for fly-in hunts far exceeds the supply.

OP
Justin Price
I contacted Golden Eagle and they told me they weren’t doing Caribou drops due to the closures.

We are open to other places than the 40 mile area we just haven’t had much luck finding anyone that is available.

40 Mile air has told us they start booking in December but from everything I have read it is going to be very difficult to get in with them and I’m afraid if we wait that long anyone else that may have had an opening will be booked.

Does anyone know of any fly in outfitters in Alaska that are booking for next year?

We would like to fly out of Tok and hunt the 40 mile herd however it looks like it’s going to be very difficult to get in with 40 mile air and Tok air has such a bad reputation we would prefer to go with someone else. Are their any other outfitters in the area?

We are open to other locations but with the units around Kotzbue being closed it seems like a lot of people that were available aren’t anymore. I think we have talked to 3 outfits out of the Kotzbue area and none are flying hunters in.

Anybody got someone they would recommend?

We're booking for next year, but not for the Forty Mile and we don't fly out of Tok.

Forrest1

FNG
Since pretty much all the caribou hunting around Kotzebue has been shut down for at least the next year if not 2 its really put a lot of pressure on the other outfits. All the reputable ones I've checked into have been been booked

I contacted Golden Eagle and they told me they weren’t doing Caribou drops due to the closures.

We are open to other places than the 40 mile area we just haven’t had much luck finding anyone that is available.

40 Mile air has told us they start booking in December but from everything I have read it is going to be very difficult to get in with them and I’m afraid if we wait that long anyone else that may have had an opening will be booked.

Vern was saying to contact their Delta base I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure their delta base only flies into areas where it's a lottery. No easy otc hunts like the other areas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
Golden Eagle in Delta is booked also. They do fly caribou hunters into the Delta Herd in 20A and that is a drawing hunt. Sometimes they fly caribou hunters into the edge of the 40 mile Country.

Has anyone heard what Golden Eagles plan is for thier Kotzebou base? We are booked for a 2023 hunt with them.

GE strongly advised those of us booked for 2022 to push our trips until 2023. It seemed that they had some confidence that the area would be reopened. I'm not sure what that means for people booked for 2023...

My brief communication with the Alaska Fish and Game has me less confident that it will be reopened.

That limited hunt out of Delta had pitifully low draw odds when I looked into it as well.

So we were one of the groups that pushed our hunt back. My understanding is that it was a two year closure? So that would make 2024 the next normal year. I know they are they are busy now and don’t want to bug them but wondering if they will be taking people next year with the closure? Will they be flying further in?

OP
Justin Price
GE strongly advised those of us booked for 2022 to push our trips until 2023. It seemed that they had some confidence that the area would be reopened. I'm not sure what that means for people booked for 2023...

My brief communication with the Alaska Fish and Game has me less confident that it will be reopened.

That limited hunt out of Delta had pitifully low draw odds when I looked into it as well.
We have gotten the same vibe from several people that they believe in 2023 it will be open again.

We have found some outfits that would fly us into draw areas but the odds are so low it’s definitely not something we can rely on.

Roughout

FNG
OP you may want to do your own research on Tok Air. Seems to fit what you are looking for if you can get comfortable with doing business with him. I believe the courts decisions from his run in with 40 mile, were in his favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk