Fly-in vs. haul road

Cowbell

WKR
First I would like to say hello to all the caribou chasers - I am a regular on the elk and classified threads but this will be my first time chasing caribou. Also, I'm about to ask some questions that have been asked on here before but I enjoy refreshing discussions as trends change quickly in the western hunting world.
Four of us are currently contemplating the haul road vs. getting flown in to hunt. It looks like we can hunt the haul road for 2 consecutive years costs vs. one year of getting flown in. We are all avid bow hunters and enjoy a good challenge. The haul road seems to offer that and be more fitting for budgets. Would like others takes on this? Scenery, trophy potential, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, there's a lot to learn about your destination. Your interest falls in the but crack of the worst decline in recent history for the Central Arctic Herd of caribou. That makes the Haul rd. hunt a severe gamble until well in to September, and even then the numbers are not exciting.

Personally, I would put your money into a different option or save for a couple more years to let the herd rebound a bit.

If you went before Aug 20 and the weather trend is warm, you might not see a single animal. If it's colder for days around then, a small surge or two might cross the Haul rd. that week or toward the beginning of september.

But, fewer caribou doesn't mean fewer hunters, so expect multiple hunters trying to ambush the same caribou or groups of caribou. During these pressured periods, caribou get skiddish and make tracks all over the tundra, which i believe make successive groups nervous...which makes bow hunting along the road a difficult low success rate.

Stay in touch with ADFG in Fairbanks to stay up to date on herd status and reg changes.

if i missed anything important ask away.

larry

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
Well, there's a lot to learn about your destination. Your interest falls in the but crack of the worst decline in recent history for the Central Arctic Herd of caribou. That makes the Haul rd. hunt a severe gamble until well in to September, and even then the numbers are not exciting.

Personally, I would put your money into a different option or save for a couple more years to let the herd rebound a bit.

If you went before Aug 20 and the weather trend is warm, you might not see a single animal. If it's colder for days around then, a small surge or two might cross the Haul rd. that week or toward the beginning of september.

But, fewer caribou doesn't mean fewer hunters, so expect multiple hunters trying to ambush the same caribou or groups of caribou. During these pressured periods, caribou get skiddish and make tracks all over the tundra, which i believe make successive groups nervous...which makes bow hunting along the road a difficult low success rate.

Stay in touch with ADFG in Fairbanks to stay up to date on herd status and reg changes.

if i missed anything important ask away.

larry
Thanks Larry - heard a lot about you - was actually on your website this afternoon as we will be needing to rent rafts for the trip. Always appreciate good wisdom.

Is there a herd that is more appealing at this time than the others If we decide to get flown in?

Thanks for starting this thread Cowbell. I've also wanted some fresh intel of late related to caribou.

I've largely ruled out the Haul Road in exchange for the adventure of a fly-in and/or float trip, and it seems like for good reason. From reading these posts and looking at the ADFG estimates, it seems like the highest numbers are in the herds north and west of the Brooks Range (Western Arctic, Teshekpuk Central Arctic, Porcupine) and the 40-mile herd.

I'm not necessarily looking for the biggest caribou on the tundra, but more a collection of experiences together for a good hunt. Personally I think I'd like to be in an area with a little less tussocks and potentially a little more mobility on foot if possible, which I assume would put me in a bit more mountainous terrain, and also a bit earlier in the year (August; please correct me if I'm wrong here). I think that if I was hunting caribou on "summer range" where they are a little more stationary (relative to caribou that is). Ideally, I would be able to hunt with a general tag and be flown in and either picked up or float out as well.

I'm wondering if I'm chasing a unicorn here, or if that set of circumstances overlaps in a few spots. It seems like it should be possible, but I've had many dreams shot down before and it won't hurt me. Thanks much in advance!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd go the 40-mile option for the price point, then the porcupine herd for the adventure but it's an expensive option.

Look at the Western Arctic Herd.Largest in the state and they migrate in mass. Jet service all the way to your "Bush Pilot"

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitting
Kotz

Attachments

• 9253183.jpg
    9253183.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 5772235_orig.jpg
    5772235_orig.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 81
P1120199.JPGThe Haul Rd can be incredible. A fly in can be incredible. The Haul rd can be terrible. A Fly in can be terrible. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the experience and how much money you want to spend. I like the Haul rd because it's tough and I know that the other people hunting in the area are under the same restrictions as I am. I also like flying out, cause I'll be the only person for miles. Pro's and Cons to both. If I was a NR, I'd find a unit that I could hunt in and take two caribou. There are a few that still allow it.

I drove the haul road in 2015 to get to my air service out of Happy Valley. Did not see many from the road but did not ever get off the road. I really enjoyed my fly in hunt. Like Nick said can be hit or miss on whatever you decide. I too am trying to plan a return trip to Alaska. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

View attachment 151765The Haul Rd can be incredible. A fly in can be incredible. The Haul rd can be terrible. A Fly in can be terrible. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the experience and how much money you want to spend. I like the Haul rd because it's tough and I know that the other people hunting in the area are under the same restrictions as I am. I also like flying out, cause I'll be the only person for miles. Pro's and Cons to both. If I was a NR, I'd find a unit that I could hunt in and take two caribou. There are a few that still allow it.
That is a killer bull! Great job!