Fly line brands

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some opinions on fly line. Want to try something other than RIO, due to not having the best luck with it durability wise. Will primarily be used for nymphing, with some occasionally dry/dry dropped rigs. Will be going on a 9’ 6wt.

TC406

FNG
Check out Bozeman Flyworks. Great guys that really did their research and get their lines made at the same factory as some of the major brands, at half (or less than) the price and direct to you.

Russp17

WKR
I've tried rio, airflo and scientific anglers. I think right now my favorite is SA. Have not had the best luck with airflo and rio are ok but not spectacular.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
I usually use SA or Rio. I’ll have to check out the Bozeman Flyworks. I’m pretty sure Orvis owns SA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
WyoWrangler

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve normally lined up a size with rio, due to having a fast action, is that something you guys like to do with SA or Bozeman?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a Wolf tritaper that didn't cast very well. I tried an Orvis Pro and it was great compared to the Wolf. Expensive but worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
In my limited experience, a good line on one rod, may not be a good line on another rod. It can be expensive to buy and sell, but you gotta find what the rod likes.

Or google your rod, alot of manufactures will have a recommended line for their rod. While not always the best line for it, I find it's a great start.

But really, for nymphing, I doubt it matters, almost any of the big name line makers make a WFF that can throw a nymph rig 40ft.

T&T recommends SA Amplitude Trout for the Avantt for instance and they do not recommend over-lining. I went against that and bought some RIO nymph line...casts like crap. Picked up some SA and bam, casts like a dream.

For Royal Wulff...their Triangle taper is badass for bonefish/redfish flies...but again, its probably more rod specific, It was fantastic on a CORE 1 piece fast action, it was a little less impressive on a Allen rod I had, I did over-line both of those...which helped. I think its incorrect to just says dont buy this company their line sucks...its all application dependent.

Ymmv.

I got a bunch of the new SA amplitude lines for my 3-6wts last year and they are great I love all the tapers they offer. As said above not every 5wt will like the same line my hardy zenith loves the MPX, Scott G series loves the infinity. SA rules the roost in my eyes, shops make more pushing Rio as a dealer which makes it more competitive, the grand is a nice taper and the saltwater sinktip stuff is ok but SA handles more abuse.