Fly or drive?

So my hunting partner and I drew tags in Montana today. We are planning a 10-12 day trip out in September for archery. Unfortunately we live in Md aprox 36hr one way drive. We are considering flying but not sure with the possibility of losing luggage not to mention lots of other issues with flying.
What’s everyone’s thoughts?
It would be nice to get there refreshed not to mention we would basically picked up two extra hunting days by flying

Geewhiz

WKR
I've been toying with the idea of flying on a similar trip but I think I am going to drive. Logistically much simpler, plus you can bring whatever you want, easy to get meat/antlers back, and you already have a vehicle when you get here versus having to rent. Obvious downside is travel time, but with12 days your not too strapped for time if you have enough people to drive all the way through each way.

This sounds like more of a wet dream than a plausible venture. Congrats on drawing tags in MT but have you hunted MT before? Or are you doing a guided hunt?

Werty

WKR
It's no different than people flying to Alaska for a moose hunt. I would fly to your hunt, with maybe renting a car to bring meat back home. You could also ship it home.

sblount

FNG
I always drive with a chest freezer in the bed of my truck. Get the meat nice and frozen for the drive back and plug in for a bit here and there if you need to. Good luck!

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
36hrs is a long drive. I personally would fly if it’s anything over 24hrs away. Renting won’t be as expensive with 2 ppl and if you kill something drive back. I know Delta allows you to change your flight without losing your money for now.

cnelk

WKR
Already been discussed. Some good info here:

OP
Mdfowlman2
This sounds like more of a wet dream than a plausible venture. Congrats on drawing tags in MT but have you hunted MT before? Or are you doing a guided hunt?
I don’t exactly follow? What exactly makes this more of a wet dream vs a plausible venture? I haven’t been but my hunting partner has twice and this is a diy hunt.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Sounds like someone is jealous.
I’m a drive over fly and I mainly hunt solo. Used to drive straight through, but older, retired and more money, so I stop for a nice bed one night.
Lost luggage is a issue when flying, but truck problems can happen on the drive.
I’d still drive and switch off every few hours. Like having all my stuff with me.

I've been driving NC to MT for years-one trip was solo. I tow an enclosed trailer so I can keep all my gear bear-proof (required by law) while camping. Yes, it is a long trip but you will see some beautiful country along the way. You will be able to have more conveniences while camping and you will be able to bring your meat home without having the hassle of shipping it. I would not do this trip any other way. Note, that we are retired and our travel schedule is very flexible. We make sure to have at least 14 hunting days due to weather and fatigue(we're old farts). And we like to sprinkle in some trout fishing as it's the best in the world. PM me with questions and I'll help anyway I can.

If it’s a 10-12 day trip, assuming you have a regular work week, you’d be returning for only two days of work.

I’d find some way to get those other two days off and drive. Leave immediately after work on Friday and drive shifts with your buddy. Grab a hotel Saturday night and get a good night’s sleep. You could be hunting Sunday night and have ten full days.

That way you can have whatever you want in base camp without worries about weight and space.

Perhaps easier said than done depending on work, but worthwhile in my mind. Time and expense of flying, car rental, driving from airport and any ice/supply run before heading out will probably be greater than imagined.

But I enjoy road tripping with a buddy much more than paring things down and worrying about some baggage handler misdirecting my gear.

OP
Mdfowlman2
If it’s a 10-12 day trip, assuming you have a regular work week, you’d be returning for only two days of work.

I’d find some way to get those other two days off and drive. Leave immediately after work on Friday and drive shifts with your buddy. Grab a hotel Saturday night and get a good night’s sleep. You could be hunting Sunday night and have ten full days.

That way you can have whatever you want in base camp without worries about weight and space.

Perhaps easier said than done depending on work, but worthwhile in my mind. Time and expense of flying, car rental, driving from airport and any ice/supply run before heading out will probably be greater than imagined.

But I enjoy road tripping with a buddy much more than paring things down and worrying about some baggage handler misdirecting my gear.

We are going 9/8-9/19 it’s a Wednesday-the following Sunday. My biggest issue is I cannot take a two full work weeks. I wish I knew someone in that area I could just ship my stuff to prior to flying out, fly out empty handed with no fear of lost luggage

cnelk

WKR
I wish I knew someone in that area I could just ship my stuff to prior to flying out, fly out empty handed with no fear of lost luggage

You do know that you can ship stuff to yourself using General Delivery to the nearest Post Office to your destination?

Show your ID and get your stuff. They will hold it for 30 days

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
We are going 9/8-9/19 it’s a Wednesday-the following Sunday. My biggest issue is I cannot take a two full work weeks. I wish I knew someone in that area I could just ship my stuff to prior to flying out, fly out empty handed with no fear of lost luggage
Fear of lost luggage when flying on the airlines is similar to fear of swimming in the ocean because you might get attacked by a shark. It does happen, but the odds are that it won't.

Now luggage not making a 30 min connection is another topic, but that is not "lost", it is just delayed. Be sure to book at least a 1 hour connection buffer, and if you buy a first class ticket, your luggage will receive extra attention and care as well.

IMO the drive or fly conversation really comes down to what do you have more of, time (drive)? or money (fly)?

Keep in mind this is site is geared towards the DIYer who takes pride in doing everything possible themselves, and at the cheapest cost due to their excellent planning and research, so you are going to get more drives than flys every time. Only you know your situation (equation) in terms of your work, vacation allowance, home life, bank account, etc.....follow your gut feeling with what makes the most sense for you.

fatlander

WKR

There’s a pair of swaros lost in the mail with my name on it right now. Knock on wood, I’ve yet to have an issue with gear while flying. The postal service however is an absolute mess.

If you’re going to to MT, I’m guessing you’ll probably be bringing a side arm, so you’ll have to check a bag anyway. Might as well have your gear checked in that bag. SKB double bow case can easily fit all of your gear minus what you can carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Never been attacked by a shark, but I’ve been left with only my carry on. And had some tough flights.

I’m not suggesting my way is the “right” way. I’m merely sharing my opinion. Which is, I believe, what the OP was looking for.

If there’s absolutely no way to get the additional days off work, that makes the parameters a little tougher.

I’d definitely look into shipping gear ahead. I’ve done that when going to MT, but not my preference.

That trip was a major hassle. Departure airport was changed. Flight was redirected. Unplanned layover in Salt Lake City. Delayed incoming plane from CA because of an equipment problem. Flight crew timed out of hours. Finally got to Billings after about 19-20 hours. Other entitled passengers screaming at ticket agents. Couldn’t even enjoy a beer while waiting in Salt Lake because it was too late. We should’ve drove.

It happens. Thankfully not regularly.

If I did get bit by a shark while swimming, I might be hesitant to go back in the ocean too. In spite of the odds.

7Bartman

WKR
With Southwest airlines now flying to Bozeman, flying would be a no brainer for me if you're hunting anywhere within a reasonable drive of there. You get 2 free checked bags (my framepack, and bowcase) a carryon (my soft-sided cooler filled), and a lap item (my daypack filled with binos, electronics, etc...). Never had a problem so far. Even check my pistol in my framepack. Flying can definitely be stressful, but driving that far is not something I would want to do. You can book two one-way flights for the same price as a roundtrip. If you should get a big bull down and don't want to ship the antlers back to yourself then you can rent a car and some dry ice and drive home. Cancel your return flight for no cost.

Last edited:
OP
Mdfowlman2
With Southwest airlines now flying to Bozeman, flying would be a no brainer for me if you're hunting anywhere within a reasonable drive of there. You get 2 free checked bags (my framepack, and bowcase) a carryon (my soft-sided cooler filled), and a lap item (my daypack filled with binos, electronics, etc...). Never had a problem so far. Even check my pistol in my framepack. Flying can definitely be stressful, but driving that far is not something I would want to do. You can book two one-way flights for the same price as a roundtrip. If you should get a big bull down and don't want to ship the antlers back to yourself then you can rent a car and some dry ice and drive home. Cancel your return flight for no cost.
[/
I think this will end up being our plan, looking at some flights this evening. Southwest flying into Bozeman is a big help