Fly Out Spring Bear

cured_ham

WKR
I had a surprisingly successful first elk hunt in CO and the western hunting bug bit me. I am already planning a two week elk hunt in September in CO. I would also like to try spring bear hunt but I would only be able to put a weekend plus a day or two together to hunt (not including travel). I have never flown anywhere to hunt so I am not sure how big of a wrench that throws in my plans.

I live in KY so the closest spring bear is in Montana and if I were to drive I would lose a day or so of hunting. Is flying out for a 3-5 day hunt a recipe for failure (would be 100% DIY public land) or does spring bear require less time than elk? I would not want to go try to fill an elk tag with anything less than a week, ideally more. My only bear hunting experience was this fall in KY and I found them but season closed before I could close the deal.

TIA

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
I had a surprisingly successful first elk hunt in CO and the western hunting bug bit me. I am already planning a two week elk hunt in September in CO. I would also like to try spring bear hunt but I would only be able to put a weekend plus a day or two together to hunt (not including travel). I have never flown anywhere to hunt so I am not sure how big of a wrench that throws in my plans.

I live in KY so the closest spring bear is in Montana and if I were to drive I would lose a day or so of hunting. Is flying out for a 3-5 day hunt a recipe for failure (would be 100% DIY public land) or does spring bear require less time than elk? I would not want to go try to fill an elk tag with anything less than a week, ideally more. My only bear hunting experience was this fall in KY and I found them but season closed before I could close the deal.

TIA
Tough crowd... My buddy and I are doing the same this year. We will get in late to Idaho and drive to our unit through the night, wake up the next morning and hit it hard for 4 days, then fly home... Of all my hunting experience over the years I think 4 days of hitting it hard is plenty if you glass hard. Sometimes luck plays a role. Best of luck to you.

crossone

FNG
The only problem with a rushed hunt like that in Idaho would be if you're successful.

From 2020 Idaho Bear Big Game Regulations

Mandatory Check and Report: Any hunter killing a black
bear must, within 10 days of kill:
• Present the skull and hide to an Idaho Fish and Game
regional office, official check point, or a Fish and Game
conservation officer for removal and retention of a premolar
tooth and to have the hide tagged with an official state
export tag. No person, who does not possess a fur buyer or
taxidermist license with appropriate import documentation,
shall have, except during the open season and for 10 days
after the close of the season, any raw black bear pelt that
does not have an official state export tag attached (either
Idaho’s or another state’s official export documentation).

• A hunter may authorize another person to comply with
the above requirements if that person possesses enough
information to accurately complete the necessary form.
Proxy statement required, see page 102.
• Please thaw your black bear hide and skull before
bringing it in for tagging. Staff members may not be able
to check a frozen hide or skull.
Fish and Game’s headquarters office is not equipped to check
in bears. For regional office locations and phone numbers see
page 4.

All regional Idaho Fish and Game offices are closed Saturdays and Sundays.

I think that’s asking a lot unless you went guided. Too bad Canada is still closed, some really good value bear hunts there.

if you have no experience or help I think you would be depending on pure luck. Bears can be tough and very nocturnal on public land, more so if pressured.

What’s your budget? Alaska is still open for guided hunts and lots of public if you are flying anyway. 😀

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
Budget is low. Experience is lower. Honestly the guided trips in CA may be my best bet. I can get into ON in about 6 or so hours if I recall.

TIA
I am also from Kentucky and I was thinking the same or maybe fly out and if successful cancel my return flight and use a rental to drive back with meat and foam coolers. I’ve been looking at spring season bear in Idaho. I’d be interested to hear about your KY bear hunting experience? I’ve been to east TN three years in a row for bear with no luck. I’ve been playing with the idea of trying Kentucky’s bear season in the bell county zone.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
I am also from Kentucky and I was thinking the same or maybe fly out and if successful cancel my return flight and use a rental to drive back with meat and foam coolers. I’ve been looking at spring season bear in Idaho. I’d be interested to hear about your KY bear hunting experience? I’ve been to east TN three years in a row for bear with no luck. I’ve been playing with the idea of trying Kentucky’s bear season in the bell county zone.
KY bear was rough. I was in Bell zone this past season. Spent all day Saturday looking for sign and never found any. Came across sign- fresh poop, chewed up bushes, and chewed up garbage Sunday afternoon. Hauled ass back to the truck to relocate for the evening sit. The sign made me think it was a morning spot- it was too fresh for evening. Sat that night and saw nothing. Bell zone closed that day so we did not get to go back.

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider

TIA
PMed.

Elkfever4

FNG
M.E. did a podcast awhile back with I believe Clay Newcomb, it’s was all about bears and hunting down in those states around your area. It was a interesting podcast , enough so it might help you out closer to home and give you more time out hunting and less time traveling. My two cents if your spending the money to fly to the west, four days is cutting it close what if your luggage gets held up a day, or a flight delayed. It’s seems like a lot has to go right and very little room for error. Curious have you put boots on the ground in the area you want to go to or just some research. I say and ask all this purely out of curiosity.

OP
C

cured_ham

WKR
M.E. did a podcast awhile back with I believe Clay Newcomb, it’s was all about bears and hunting down in those states around your area. It was a interesting podcast , enough so it might help you out closer to home and give you more time out hunting and less time traveling. My two cents if your spending the money to fly to the west, four days is cutting it close what if your luggage gets held up a day, or a flight delayed. It’s seems like a lot has to go right and very little room for error. Curious have you put boots on the ground in the area you want to go to or just some research. I say and ask all this purely out of curiosity.
I have listened to those as well as Clay's podcast. Both are awesome.

Only reason I am traveling is because there are no spring bear seasons in the south. Closest is Montana or Wyoming. Just not a thing around here. I do hunt bears here in the fall though.

No boots on the ground. Was planning on E scouting and hoping for the best. It is not going to happen this year though.

How much weight do you put on harvesting an animal when considering if a trip was successful? Personally, I would do it but shooting an animal is such a small part of the experience that it doesn't weigh very heavily on the experience for me. Don't get me wrong, I hike to hunt. I prefer to go places I can have a tag in my pocket and a rifle on my back if the opportunity presents itself. But nothing beats days alone in really wild places. Especially in the spring.

Can you plan it over say, Memorial day weekend to extend your trip for a day? And regarding the F&G offices being closed on Sat. & Sunday. I would give them a call. The offices are closed but I guarantee an officer is on duty.