Fly reel shopping

OldGrayJB

WKR
I planning to pass my Cabela's RLS+ rod and reel to a family member, and get myself an upgrade. Does anyone have experience with the Pflueger Supreme?

I welcome other recommendations. I'd like to stay in that $200 range. I'll be using for trout fishing on a 9 foot 4 weight rod. And it will never be used in saltwater.

Check this thread out for other suggestions.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
In your price range, Lamson is a solid choice. I have an old Konic that just won’t die.

Stalker69

WKR
I like galvan's little more for there brookie models. I have a few of there rush reels I use for bass and stripers great quality and American made.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I love my Galvan torque, I use it for carp, caught a 21lb. 6oz yesterday on it, 5 weight, drags great. I believe the rush has the same drag system. The brookie does not. I am buying another fly reel and it will be a Galvan also.

OP
OldGrayJB

OldGrayJB

WKR
I like galvan's little more for there brookie models. I have a few of there rush reels I use for bass and stripers great quality and American made.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The Brookie is a good looking reel but as @Stalker69 pointed out, it has a different drag. You need an allen wrench to adjust if I read that right. That probably wouldn't be a problem on a 4 weight. You'd likely set it once and never mess with it again.

OP
OldGrayJB

OldGrayJB

WKR
I am a fan of Lamson. They have the guru 1.5 on closeout on their website right now. Fully machined reel for $170.
I'll probably buy that. I also saw the sale on the Liquid. After reading the thread @switchback7 posted, I'm wondering if I'll notice any difference. I want something that will last. How much stronger are machined reels than cast?

I'll probably buy that. I also saw the sale on the Liquid. After reading the thread @switchback7 posted, I'm wondering if I'll notice any difference. I want something that will last. How much stronger are machined reels than cast?

I picked up a machined Lamson liquid for dirt cheap and so far i love it. I just picked up fly fishing this spring and my other reel is a Reddington ID, so I've always had inexpensive reels and don't have experience with top tier reels. But with that being said, I have only heard great things about Lamson - reason why I picked one up - and has worked flawlessly.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Lamson Litespeed, which I don’t think they make anymore. Great bonefish reel.
I have a Remix which is in the same price range as the Liquid. Not impressed at all. I would get a Redington Behemoth before I’d get the Liquid.
My favorite trout reel is the Abel Super 4. It ain’t cheap but should be something you can pass on to your kids.
In a 4 weight I would not worry so much about strength but weight and balance. The machined reels will be more durable and smoother. Until you move into fish that can put you into the backing, don’t sweat the drag power or frame strength.If you can palm drag, the Abel TR is a great little reel.

Fshnpole

FNG
The cast reels are much more likely to chip or break. All it takes is one small chip and it will chew up your $100 fly line. if you drop or smash a machined one it is more likely to bend or dent a little and still be functional.

st59

FNG
I’d be looking really hard at those lamsons, especially on sale. Really good all around reels

OP
OldGrayJB

OldGrayJB

WKR
I ordered the Lamson Guru. Thanks for all the input. Lots of good options out there, but that price seems impossible to beat.

ianpadron

WKR
Lamson. Grab a discontinued model off Steep and Cheap.

You can spend a whole lot more money but you won't get a better reel. I have a half dozen Lamsons (Guru, ARX, Speedster, etc) and they all kick ass.

Wassid82

WKR
I've worked in the fly fishing industry and love it. I gravitate towards Galvin, Lamson, and hardy. I think you could find a really good real for sub 200. backcountry, Sierra trading post, etc. other discount shops have them. Also there are a few online shops that sale floor models or fisherman trades and you can get amazing deals on those too.