Fly Rod on a Float Hunt

Sawtooth

FNG
We're heading up north or northeast out of Kotzebue September 19-30 for caribou. Have any of you taken a fly rod on your hunt that time of year? I know it's late for big dollies, etc., but if you took your rod, how did it go?

Absolutely take a fly rod! What river are you floating? I’ve never hunted up there that late, the latest for me was about the 7th of September, but the fishing was very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I believe the fishing always good up there ( for the most part) I would for sure take my rod. Not sure what flies would be best, or if they are real picky.

OP
Sawtooth

Sawtooth

FNG
Yep, I agree with all of you! I've made four trips to Alaska, one DIY exploratory trip to the interior for trophy grayling, and then I've hosted three trips for the outfitter I guide for...and those trips were to the Bristol Bay area. This will be my first trip above the Arctic Circle, and I just don't quite know what to expect that late in September. August is prime time for big dollies up there, but just wondering if anything is left the last two weeks of September.

I'm pretty ignorant on fishing opportunities up there. Grayling don't do much for me. I'd take a rod for anything trout sized. I'd take a tenkara for grayling.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm pretty ignorant on fishing opportunities up there. Grayling don't do much for me. I'd take a rod for anything trout sized. I'd take a tenkara for grayling.

greyling are great, they can get pretty big.

Attachments

• 77FC26D3-40D1-4033-B7EA-EA6EC27CF938.jpeg
    77FC26D3-40D1-4033-B7EA-EA6EC27CF938.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 8F241069-7F06-4340-9827-45812ECDDFB4.jpeg
    8F241069-7F06-4340-9827-45812ECDDFB4.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 44
Well as long as we’re sharing.
c6bc41d231c569930871e952c7026ba4.jpg

You’ll be fine, should be good fish yet I would think. Who did you guide for in Bristol Bay? I’ve been out there the last 20 years.

OP
Sawtooth

Sawtooth

FNG
You’ll be fine, should be good fish yet I would think. Who did you guide for in Bristol Bay? I’ve been out there the last 20 years.

I host a trip to Intricate Bay Lodge (Brian Harry) every year. Not exactly “guiding” , but I have my clients up there for a week. It’s an awesome trip! I still have room for for you five this year! Mid-June!

OP
Sawtooth

Sawtooth

FNG
I host a trip to Intricate Bay Lodge (Brian Harry) every year. Not exactly “guiding” , but I have my clients up there for a week. It’s an awesome trip! I still have room for four to five this year! Mid-June!

Some day I’ll go up to fun fish, my favorite time to be guiding is August into September.
mid June is great for over size rainbows and the start of reds and kings. I’m sure you’ll fill your spots.

OP
Sawtooth

Sawtooth

FNG
you'll kill it!

Hoping so! One of the things I really wanted to do on this hunt is fish too. That’s really what caught my attention to that part of the state...the fly fishing. This hunt opportunity came up and the whole thing came together.

I really think those big Char are highly underrated fish. We do a lot of work in September on the Naknek, our home water and then down south as far as the Meshic and cinder River. I really like fishing anything off Ugashic and Becherof as well. Cabin, Bible, Bear and Fetherly all fish remarkably well in September for big char, gigantic Grayling and Silver Salmon.
Looking forward to seeing monster racks and big Char from your trip.

I host a trip to Intricate Bay Lodge (Brian Harry) every year. Not exactly “guiding” , but I have my clients up there for a week. It’s an awesome trip! I still have room for for you five this year! Mid-June!

I ran into some of them ( Intricate Bay Lodge) in September about the fifth? On the Kulik. Where you there? Damn wet day.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really think those big Char are highly underrated fish. We do a lot of work in September on the Naknek, our home water and then down south as far as the Meshic and cinder River. I really like fishing anything off Ugashic and Becherof as well. Cabin, Bible, Bear and Fetherly all fish remarkably well in September for big char, gigantic Grayling and Silver Salmon.
Looking forward to seeing monster racks and big Char from your trip.

where do you live, I’m in the bristol Bay Area too.