Fly rod/reel suggestion

16Bore

WKR
Rule #1- don’t overthink fly fishing.
Rule #2- see rule #1

You want a 30-06/Leupold 3x9/165 gr. Corlokt fly rod.

8 to 8-1/2”, 6wt is a good place to start and not a bad place to stay.

kowalski

FNG
I like this. Any recommendations on fly line brands and models? Going to be doing some stream trout fishing with my 4 and 6 weights. Thinking weight forward but not sure on brand models.

Stalker69

WKR
I can suggest NOT using “ wulff” brand, it sucks big time. As does their customer service ! Trying Rio gold now, but have not got to put in the water yet.

WCB

WKR
I use RIO or Scientific Angler lines. I'd recommend RIO GOLD or GRAND. I've liked both of the when I used them. Even go with their Avid Trout line that will save you $15 or so and will work for your applications.

I run mostly Rio, weight forward, on my 8wt. 6wt and 4wts, probably 20 Rio lines in service, some scientific Angler and a few left over miscellaneous. I like the durability of the Rio lines.

dwils233

FNG
Since you said you mostly get after western trout...if I could do it over again I would start with a 4 wt, and when you get ready to upgrade jump to a 5 wt. 4's are just more fun for smaller fish and then you can splurge on a more versatile 5wt and keep the 4 wt as a backup. Echo and TFO are great starter rods, lamson liquids are great reels and you can usually buy a combo setup with spare spools so you can run a dry, sink and mid sink ( mods are great for smaller lakes around Washington)

Mostly though, go to a fly shop. They'll get you set up right, you'll put some good money in a biz that's probably putting in conservation work and you'll start building some great fishing relationships and access to lnowledge

Okhotnik

WKR
I like this. Any recommendations on fly line brands and models? Going to be doing some stream trout fishing with my 4 and 6 weights. Thinking weight forward but not sure on brand models.

SA or cortland brands. You can go DT or WF depending on your needs. You can flip the DT line around and use the other end.

Have not had good luck with RIO

Sierra TP always has SA line on clearance for $29

I used to love the wolf triangle taper but no longer made.

Gmurray70

FNG
200 bucks might be a little light, a decent fly line is going to be about 90 bucks. That being said I’ve had clients show up with package deals they found at Cabelas or Sportsman’s that fished well enough.
I would think a 5or 6 weight would serve you well.
I used to always buy cabelas three forks rod and reel combo, take the reel off and get a nice reel and nice line and keep the others for backups. Worked like a charm. I still use them to this day to fart around with. Good for the price and the reel and line aren’t bad given the price!

Gmurray70

FNG
I'm looking for suggestion for a rod/reel for a newbie. I've never fly fished before. I usually fish for trout out west, im attending a wedding on lake superior in Wisconsin this summer, and I thought it would be fun to give it a whirl up there. I would be interested in used gear if anyone is looking to un load. Thanks in advance
I would say best all around rod is a 9ft 5 or 6 wt. I have fished all sorts of fish from small trout to big chum salmon with a 6 wt. little light for big salmon but works best for a newbie and provides good support!

Russp17

WKR
Thank you for the suggestions. I would like to keep it in the $200 range to see how I like it

I would buy the following with your budget buy a echo base in 5 weight. I think they are 90 dollars, a lamson liquid I saw they are on sale for around 70 and then a decent five weight line will run you about 50 so that would be 210....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly fishing stuff is in continuous mark down. For 200 dollars you can find a rod with a good warranty, a disc drag reel and a good line easy. Madison River Fishing Company has a great sale page and is where I would look for lines. The Fenwick Aetos is a very good rod for the money. Reel doesn't matter as much as long as it has a disc drag.

OP
Eltigreblanco
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I found some discounts and went with a 5wt orvis Clearwater rod and reel with rio gold fly line. Just need to get out and practice my casting.

Don’t know if you’re old enough to remember dial phones that hung on the wall.
invision that if you will; the phone rings, you reach out pull the receiver to your ear, hello? You listen, for a couple of seconds, as your hand starts forward you say it’s for you.”
with your fly rod in your hand, you lift the line off the water, elbow bends your hand is accelerating, back towards your ear, tip of the fly rod is almost perfect at 0100. That’s Hello. You pause, you listen to the sniveling voice asking for your sister. Your fly line has sailed backwards and is now loading the rod. You don’t like this guy, you don’t linger, your hand accelerates forward as you say”it’s for you” just a short jab, to make him flinch, don’t punch him is your thought.
It’s a simple mantra to help with the timing, getting the rod to load. Probably much easier to demonstrate in person then to describe with my limited writing skill, but I’ve used it with rookie clients for twenty years or so.
Have fun, catch fish, send pics

Stalker69

WKR
Dude you have me confused, “he asked for your sister,” you jab “ him” with the phone ? Is he not the one on the other end and your giving the phone to “ her” or is your sister your “ brother” ? I didn’t know we had the whole “ gender” confusion thing back when we “ dialed” phones ! But yea cast like that. And “ maybe” send pictures, as long as it’s of the fish, and not who’s on the phone.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas or Reddington or TFO starter set and you will catch fish. If you enjoy it youll progress to better equipment and maybe pick up other bad habits like fly tying. I still remember the first mountain trout I caught on a dry fly.

OP
Eltigreblanco
Don’t know if you’re old enough to remember dial phones that hung on the wall.
invision that if you will; the phone rings, you reach out pull the receiver to your ear, hello? You listen, for a couple of seconds, as your hand starts forward you say it’s for you.”
with your fly rod in your hand, you lift the line off the water, elbow bends your hand is accelerating, back towards your ear, tip of the fly rod is almost perfect at 0100. That’s Hello. You pause, you listen to the sniveling voice asking for your sister. Your fly line has sailed backwards and is now loading the rod. You don’t like this guy, you don’t linger, your hand accelerates forward as you say”it’s for you” just a short jab, to make him flinch, don’t punch him is your thought.
It’s a simple mantra to help with the timing, getting the rod to load. Probably much easier to demonstrate in person then to describe with my limited writing skill, but I’ve used it with rookie clients for twenty years or so.
Have fun, catch fish, send pics

Thanks, I will take all the advice I can get. I've been watching a bunch of videos from mad river outfitters on YouTube