Fly tying vise

zacattack

WKR
So I appear to have lost my vise in a move. It was a super entry level one. Needing to replace it. What do y’all recommend? Don’t need anything too fancy as my fly tying is still pretty much limited to wooly boogers and leeches, but wouldn’t mind having something that would last as long as I feel like tying.

Antares

WKR
After working on cheap vices for years, I got a Renzetti and never looked back. It's a joy to use.

So yourself a favor and buy a Renzetti Traveler. You can thank me later.
I totally agree. There are fancier vises but the Renzetti Traveler is one that will work for you forever and is a huge step up over the entry level ones.

I like mine a lot

BowTrout

FNG
Not trying to beat dead horse here but I will piggy back on the Renzetti recommendations. I really like mine. It is durable and really holds the hooks well.

Swan

FNG
I have a Regal Medallion and an HMH Spartan. The Regal is awesome, but I actually do most of my tying on the Spartan and can recommend it.

sndmn11

WKR
I have a Renzetti Traveler and everything works just as it should. The only other vice I would suggest to someone at the point is a Peak. If you are able to sit down at each and tie, that is the best idea. I really wanted to buy a Peak because Al Ritt is a great person and super helpful and I like how it looks, but I just found that my hands and their tasks fit better with the Renzetti. I also found the jaw adjustment to be simpler for me in practice which was opposite of my expectation.

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a Renzetti Traveler. Peak and Regal make great vises as well.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
So for the renzetti what’s the difference between the 2000 2200 and 2300? The website just says more surfaces are anodized. Is that it?

I have a Renzetti Traveler that still good as new after 25 years. I have a Griffin patriot that is totally bombproof as well but not as nice for true rotary tying.

sndmn11

WKR
So for the renzetti what’s the difference between the 2000 2200 and 2300? The website just says more surfaces are anodized. Is that it?

2000 is raw AL, 2200/2300 are anodized. Parts are the same throughout other than the anodizing.

I am sure there is a reason for anodizing, I would doubt 99.9% of the time it doesn't matter. Maybe it is to keep it from getting dinged up in travel or being the resident vise at a bonefish camp and salt resistance.

Flyjunky

WKR
No doubt the Renzetti is a decent vice if you're not going to tie a bunch and want the ability to use the rotary function. I used one when I first started tying but after a few sets of jaws and a few replacement sets of new bushings I moved on to a few others.

The Regal is probably the best for the money, absolutely bombproof, and you just can't go wrong purchasing one. If you want/need the rotary function the higher end Renzetti's are good and the DynaKing Barracuda is fantastic.

I've been tying for over 25 years both for my own stuff and professionally. When I sit down to just tie trout and normal steelhead stuff I grab the Regal but if I'm tying Atlantic Salmon or Spey patterns I will grab the Barracuda for the extra versatility of wrapping ribs or silk with the rotary function.

If you really want the best, try and find a Law vice. I've been looking for years for one in good condition but I haven't been able to find one.

Buy once, cry once