Flying in to the Frank (Unit 26)

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
The title says it all. A bucket list hunt for me and the flight is officially booked. I am reaching out because I would like to hear everyone's personal account of their adventures (or misadventures) in the Frank Church Wilderness. We'll be flying with McCall Aviation and will be after mule deer.

Cheers!

doginme

FNG
Flew in once, great time. A lot of hunters camped on the edge of the runways. Better if you can base camp it a few miles in. Tripod and good glass. Deer can be hard to spot with all the old timber and rocks and such. Is this a rut hunt?

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
We plan on hiking a long ways from the runway. We are going at the end of the general season at the end of Ocotber.

Krustyroo

FNG
Two years ago we fly into Bernard by the Flying B and camped by the river. We did not have Mule Deer tags, only Elk. Early October, the Muleys we down by us with a local bear who was eating from the Flying B trash pile. When we went high is then and only then we caught Elk sign.

aussielr

FNG
Used an outfitter to drop camp a few years ago. In hindsight would have preferred to have been able to spike camp and move a lot more but fitness and not being prepared to do that meant we couldn't. If was doing it again either flying or drop camping I would be spike camping for 2 to 3 day stretches

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Flew in with McCall air in2017, they’re great pilots. It’s difficult to put into words how hard that country is until you’re here. Beautiful remote hunt but there’s very little game let alone big game in the frank. Hardest thing for us was finding water that wasn’t 2000 feet below us

eltaco

WKR
I’ve hunted the Frank Church a couple of times, though about 10yrs ago. My experience is a bit varied from yours, as we hiked in from trailheads at the wilderness boundaries. Almost no other hunters to speak of, absolutely giant country, and very few animal sightings, even glassing over some BIG country.

I ended up tagging a bull on one of the hunts, but had a very challenging time finding a buck on my deer hunt.

Beautiful country, and still a place I’d love to go back to... but yes, it’s big and vast. I can only imagine how the internet and freedom of information have changed the way that hunt looks in 2020.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’ve hunted the Frank Church a couple of times, though about 10yrs ago. My experience is a bit varied from yours, as we hiked in from trailheads at the wilderness boundaries. Almost no other hunters to speak of, absolutely giant country, and very few animal sightings, even glassing over some BIG country.

I ended up tagging a bull on one of the hunts, but had a very challenging time finding a buck on my deer hunt.

Beautiful country, and still a place I’d love to go back to... but yes, it’s big and vast. I can only imagine how the internet and freedom of information have changed the way that hunt looks in 2020.
Internet hasn't changed the Frank hunts nearly as much as NR tag quotas have. It's cut down on a ton of pressure on the late hunts. If anything, word gets out pretty quick that game is scarce in the Frank. Great predator hunting though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
First of all, what time of year?
Have an evac plan-comms, snake bite kit, well-stocked first aid, and be prepared for spontaneous fire, 100* or blizzard conditions. The other issue is water. You'll likely have to carry what you need, it can be many miles between water opportunities. Two gallons is 16lbs alone.

One of the tougher places on Earth to pursue (ungulate) game. Wolves are another story.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Flying in at the end of October. We'll have everything pretty well covered i think. This isn't mine or my buddy's first rodeo, just our first time flying to the rodeo. Lol.