Flying in to the Frank (Unit 26)

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck!! I would enjoy seeing the results of this hunt. This is a hunt I would like to try a few years down the road.

If I can remember I will. Hopefully it will be a positive report and not just an expensive camping trip. Lol.

Did it for 10 years straight... it was really crowded, not nearly as much now. The end of October is a good time, the bucks will likely still be together, look up high.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Did it for 10 years straight... it was really crowded, not nearly as much now. The end of October is a good time, the bucks will likely still be together, look up high.

I figured they would be starting to chase does by then, I guess it will probably depend on how cold it gets. Bachelor groups are always more fun to look at though.

ZGreen

FNG
Was in there last year, we did pretty decent. We flew In For the early the first part of the season, lots of animals but the bigger bucks were definitely harder to find. When we flew I. We ended up hiking about 7 miles from the strip. Sat phone or something like the Garmin Inreach is the way to go, we did see quite a few bears so I would have that tag with you too.

If I can remember I will. Hopefully it will be a positive report and not just an expensive camping trip. Lol.

if you don’t remember to post results, then you won’t be likely to get help next time. Lots of people do that. Don’t be lots of people. 🤪

Your trip will be a success either way. That is why they call it hunting and not killing. A report and some pics are always welcome even if they don’t include animal pictures

Last edited:
OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I got a lot of good photos of the landscape let's put it that way. Haha. My buddy shot a small 2x3 7 miles from the strip and that was the only buck he saw. I saw several small 1 year old bucks throught the week and finally saw the buck I was hoping to find at 630 yards the last evening but I wasn't able to make it happen before he turned in to a ghost.

We learned we weren't hunting high enough after the first couple days, once we started hunting the ridgetops we started finding more animals. I don't think I will be going back there in October, since I am a resident I can easily hunt it in November and plan to do so in the future. Overall it was a great trip, we learned a lot and hopefully the next time will be more productive.

Attachments

• 20201020_082136.jpg
    20201020_082136.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20201020_130429.jpg
    IMG_20201020_130429.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 20201026_103319.jpg
    20201026_103319.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 163
Sounds like you had a nice hunt even tho your pack didn't get heavy :)

I'm curious if you ran into many other hunters at the airstrip or in the mountains when you went at the end of October?

Buddy and I are planning our first trip to Idaho this spring for bears, and was looking at flying into the Church. Can anyone give me a general idea of what the cost is for the flight in and out?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Buddy and I are planning our first trip to Idaho this spring for bears, and was looking at flying into the Church. Can anyone give me a general idea of what the cost is for the flight in and out?
I was quoted $430/ each way about a month and a half ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
We plan on hiking a long ways from the runway. We are going at the end of the general season at the end of Ocotber.
That sounds like a good idea but can be daunting. That country is bigger and harsher than most expect. Train hard in the off season

IDNate

FNG
Assuming two guys and backpacking gear, $450 one way is a good estimate but the Frank is a huge area with lots of airstrips. The cost is highly dependent on where you are flying from (Salmon vs Cascade) and to (Indian versus Chamberlain).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
My flight was priced with Middle Fork out of Challis. Yes, depends on gear load and number of hunters and which airstrips.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming two guys and backpacking gear, $450 one way is a good estimate but the Frank is a huge area with lots of airstrips. The cost is highly dependent on where you are flying from (Salmon vs Cascade) and to (Indian versus Chamberlain).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We flew with McCall Air, they do a Hunter's special at 525 round trip and they'll come pick up your animal. It was a pretty good deal i thought.