Flying into Gander -- Rifle Case

I have flown 5 times, east to west coast with a light weight rifle case. Rifle always made it there perfect. It has foam, tougher than a suitcase. But not as stout as these heavy duty, heavy plastic, wheeled rifle cases.

Now I'm looking at these heavy duty airline certified rifle cases. Pelican is one name. They weight 24 lbs empty !! add a scoped rifle, and your 33 lbs or better. Is it me? I can't see hauling one of these cases to Canada & back.

All good scopes are designed to get banged around. Anyone have a problem with a light weight rifle case ?

I can’t speak to the light duty case, but I would say the heavy duty case is a no brainer.

Doing a trip like that, your light duty case is checked as one bag with nothing else in it. Since gun cases need to be locked and no one else has access, I’ll pack optics, inreach, solar panel, side arm, or anything else that may be fragile and/or expensive that I don’t want to pack in an unlocked bag or carry on into my large gun case. So now you’re checking one bag for all that gear. If it gets heavy, then paying an extra $25 for a oversized bag is no big deal in the grand scheme. Most have wheels so no problem hauling them around the airport. Very rarely have I been in a situation that I could shoot my rifle before flying out to the field. I don’t worry about scope travel in my heavy duty case. Never been an issue. If I had a light case, I would need to shoot it for peace of mind. Which means now I’m blowing up my hunting area - probably not a huge deal but I don’t like it. I was talking to a man at TSA in anchorage last spring and apparently new rules are rolling out for them. Cases will need to be sturdy enough that the firearm can not be access by reaching in (locks on with latches open). So hard plastic will pass but anything with soft, malleable plastic would likely fail. The pros outweigh the cons by several orders of magnitude imo

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
You're spending at least $5k on the hunt, likely more. No reason not to use a heavy duty gun case to insure your gun makes it there in one piece with no damage.

There is no chance at all that I would even chance it. Like the previous post stated, you are already paying $X for the hunt. What is another $100 to ensure things are safe. When you get back into the smaller airports, the attention to detail is not what it would seem to be. Just do yourself a favor and spend the extra cash on the case. You will be so glad that you did.

Speedbump

FNG
The Pelican case in a league of its own. As far as I know, it is the very best protection available. They also seem to last. If you ever have the good fortune to hunt Africa, these cases are the most common you'll see. One of my buds has made 5 trips to Africa and his Pelican is still getting the job done, tho showing a few scars from ramp ape abuse. In spite of the price, it delivers your moneys worth.

OP
Short Track
Did anyone ever fly Air Canada with a rifle ? If so, how is the baggage handled?

I have flown 5 times on United, with a light weight rifle case. Although the case is banged up now, never a problem with the rifle, or scope.

rayporter

WKR
oh contraire, my friend. I have seen the results and a rifle barrel was sticking out of the corner with the corner completely open. they can be rough beyond belief with your case.

rayporter

WKR
not mine. I saw it at the super shoot. it was a competition rifle. when he threw it in the trash my buddy fished it out and rebuilt it with jb weld and plastic. it works fine as a case that only he will handle now.

funny thing was it was a top corner.

I personally had a barrel stick out of a good case sent to me by a smith in California the mc millian stock was damaged and McMillian would not stand behind it. the smith fixed it on his dime. the smith and I both thought the stock was not right and it had way too thin of a shell. you could push your finger into the foam of the stock with ease. looking back I think the smith should have caught that early on.

the case is still good and I use it often-just not for travel anymore.

OP
Short Track
When at state, you have seen a broken rifle case, it would be helpful if you say what brand & model case to stay away from.