Flying into Hermosillo, MX

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to start booking my travel to Hermosillo for the desert sheep hunt I won from Epic outdoors. There is some dialogue on here about the hunts in that area but I had a few specific questions for those that had done the trip:

- Which airline did you use?
- Did you have to claim your bags in Phoenix and recheck them through to Hermosillo? Or did they get connected all the way to Hermosillo?
- What locks did you use for your gun case? Theres conflicting reports on here regarding TSA locks and whether or not you need to or cannot use them.
- Assuming you brought cash with you for tips etc. do any specific advise you'd give for traveling with cash?

The guide will be taking care of gun permits and CITES permits if I harvest an animal so I haven't thought too much on that stuff.

Any other advice you have that you feel like sharing would be greatly appreciated?

Scorpion

WKR
Never your TSA locks for firearms. Use a keyed or combo lock that only you possess.

I have traveled to Mexico a couple times by land to hunt. Have had no issues getting firearms into or out of MX. They are very welcoming to hunters, especially in Sonora.

Enjoy your trip!

American Airlines. Check your baggage all the way. No TSA locks, make sure you can’t open the case with the locks on. Even if you book two separate tickets you can still do this.

I flew from Anchorage and saved a bunch since American doesn’t fly there by taking Alaska Airlines to Seattle, then American to HMO. They checked my bags all the way through from ANC

Mexico is very easy, they are used to many American tourists etc. Cash is fine, treat it like you would anywhere.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
American Airlines. Check your baggage all the way. No TSA locks, make sure you can’t open the case with the locks on. Even if you book two separate tickets you can still do this.

I flew from Anchorage and saved a bunch since American doesn’t fly there by taking Alaska Airlines to Seattle, then American to HMO. They checked my bags all the way through from ANC

Mexico is very easy, they are used to many American tourists etc. Cash is fine, treat it like you would anywhere.

What he said. It’s pretty straight forward. We took Delta airlines the couple times I went in and didn’t have any issues. I would make sure if you book two separate tickets that the two airlines are “friends/comparable”. Some airlines let you intermix baggage like that and some are sticklers. Also when you book the flights go directly through the airline, don’t use a third party. If there’s an issue or you need to change flights it’s much much easier if you booked through the airline itself.

Also wouldn’t hurt to double check the firearm regs more so for coming back onto the US side. Make that as seamless as possible with at least knowing what you need for paperwork.

Definitely on the tsa locks, I thought you had to have them per old regulation but you don’t. Make sure every hole in your gun case for a lock, has a lock.

Also… bottled drinks only and don’t trust the ice. Haha. Have a blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jonesry09

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are awesome!!!

Thanks a ton.

I'll get everything dialed in over the next few days. Give me some time to think about whether I want to add a cous deer or not. Talk me into it or out of it if you want hahah

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
I was there this past January. Most people fly American and make sure you fly from the US into Hermasillo and not Mexico City to Hermasillo which is less expensive. You will end up with rifle permit problems if you do. Pack your patience when flying in and out of Hermasillo. They don’t move very fast when checking everyone’s rifle permits. Use Master Locks on your gun case and don’t ever use TSA locks. I fly to Canada and Mexico every year with rifles. Make sure and put your ammo in with your rifle case. Don’t pack it with your luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk