Flying meat home

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I did not read all replies so if what I do may have already been mentioned. Freeze it of course pack it in Styrofoam box with dry ice and ship it with check in baggage. Make sure to check with airlines about how much dry ice they will allow. When I have done it as carry on in smaller styrofoam box they limited rive to 5 lbs. as it sublimates the gasses displaces oxygen. Not good in plane cabin. Not sure if there is a limit, within reason, for checked baggage with dry ice.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
How is everyone getting their meat frozen prior to flying? If you’re not hunting cold enough conditions to freeze it outside, and you don’t have family or friends nearby, how do you get it frozen?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
How is everyone getting their meat frozen prior to flying? If you’re not hunting cold enough conditions to freeze it outside, and you don’t have family or friends nearby, how do you get it frozen?
If all else fails, just pack it with dry ice. top and bottom of shipping container.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Dry ice works great to freeze if you have 24 hours before you need to fly. If needed, you can remove it prior to your flight. I've flown with big game and ducks (with wing attached) and never had an issue.

A few things to consider:
  1. Take as much as you can via carry on so you can avoid potential lost baggage. I used backpack coolers as my carry on and then checked the rest. Just budget time to have it inspected by TSA since it'll get pulled (happened every time for me).
  2. If checking multiple bags (which I assume you will with gear), it might be cheaper to upgrade to a first class ticket (two free checked bags included). First class baggage also gets a special tag (at least on Delta) on it and will come out at baggage claim sooner.
  3. Depending on airline policy and baggage fees, it can get pretty expensive to add a third bag (usually $75). You can always fedex gear back home.
  4. Jam all the empty space with clothes or newspaper.

OXN939

WKR
Just freeze it, pack it, bring lots of credit cards and grab your ankles.

I brought 75 pounds of Nilgai home last week for a total of $50 between a checked bag and a carry on "personal item". The only way you're in ankle grabbing territory is if you drop it off with a processor where you shoot it, IME.

PMcGee

WKR
I brought 75 pounds of Nilgai home last week for a total of $50 between a checked bag and a carry on "personal item". The only way you're in ankle grabbing territory is if you drop it off with a processor where you shoot it, IME.

I agree. It’s not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have actually just froze it, wrapped it good and put it in my checked bag. Also put it in carry on. Only issue may be if your flight gets delayed by way longer then scheduled. I have never had that problem.