Flying on airline: recommendations for luggage/ gear bags

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I will be flying, for the first time with hunting gear, to the Yukon for a moose hunt and I am looking for suggestions for what type of luggage/gear bag to use on commercial airline. I am thinking of several different things so your experiences will be helpful. My rifle is covered so it is clothing and boots that I am thinking about. I own a large wheel bag that all of my gear should fit in including boots so that is my first thought. If i use that I would either pack a duffle type bag in it and repack in Whitehorse as I have the time to do that, or I would buy a plastic tote in Whitehorse and put clothing etc in that for the flight into camp on float plane. I have had a couple of bad experiences checking soft sided gear bags and have had damage to them because of rubbing other bags during flight. I could buy a pack and check it but that is low on my list as this is most likely a onetime hunt because of my age. I have a 60 pound weight limit on the float plane.
Give me your thoughts please.
Thanks
wmd

I am assuming you are hunting out of a single camp and are being dropped off at camp w/o any hike/pack in based on your comments and luggage plans. Is that accuarte? Assuming the above it sounds like you will only be using a ”day pack” while in the field and won’t have a need for a larger 5,000-7,000+ cu in backpack.

Assuming all of the above is accurate I would simply go with soft sided waterproof duffels. A large one to check in with clothes and boots and a smaller carryon size to keep electronics, optics, valuables in so they don’t get lost or stolen. Waterproof bags are a must IMO as you will likely be waiting to board the puddle jumpers in weather. Avoid getting your gear wet at all cost.

My set up below was the following:

7800 cu backpack stored inside 2 Kuiu Taku 9000 bags. I doubled up incase the outer bag was damaged or if I needed a second extra bag to bring stuff home I would have one. Worked great. Outer bag was not damaged at all. Since it doesn’t sound like you are bringing a massive sized backpack, you could probably get away with a smaller sized duffel.

Patagonia Black whole duffle as my carryon.

Attachments

• 81AB019F-F929-465C-B1B9-7B25B61E1C58.jpeg
    81AB019F-F929-465C-B1B9-7B25B61E1C58.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 29
Maybe a hard side bag?

A hard side will be fine on any major commercial airline. Likely fine into Whitehorse assuming that’s on a major commercial carrier I.e. Alaska airlines etc. However from Whitehorse to camp via the bush plane I would check with them before making a decision. Many bush pilots prefer soft sided duffels as it’s easy to pack into the small cargo holds of the bush planes.

May be best to contact your outfitter and get their recommendations if you have not.

OP
wmd

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I am assuming you are hunting out of a single camp and are being dropped off at camp w/o any hike/pack in based on your comments and luggage plans. Is that accuarte? Assuming the above it sounds like you will only be using a ”day pack” while in the field and won’t have a need for a larger 5,000-7,000+ cu in backpack.

Assuming all of the above is accurate I would simply go with soft sided waterproof duffels. A large one to check in with clothes and boots and a smaller carryon size to keep electronics, optics, valuables in so they don’t get lost or stolen. Waterproof bags are a must IMO as you will likely be waiting to board the puddle jumpers in weather. Avoid getting your gear wet at all cost.

My set up below was the following:

7800 cu backpack stored inside 2 Kuiu Taku 9000 bags. I doubled up incase the outer bag was damaged or if I needed a second extra bag to bring stuff home I would have one. Worked great. Outer bag was not damaged at all. Since it doesn’t sound like you are bringing a massive sized backpack, you could probably get away with a smaller sized duffel.

Patagonia Black whole duffle as my carryon.

You are correct on all counts. I have a waterproof backpack that I am planning to use while hunting out of the boat, and use it as carry on for optics, meds etc. I was thinking of the totes as video I have seen of this outfitter and the bush planes they use, totes are used regularly. I plan on talking with the outfitter for recommendations but it is always useful to get info from experienced hunters as well. The wheel bag I have is hard sided.
Thanks
wmd