Flying out on a Muzzy hunt??? Powder??

I will be flying out on a muzzy hunting trip this fall. I know powder is not allowed on flights. Just wondering what is the best way to get powder out to my destination. Has anyone ever had this issue to deal with?

Scrubbuck

FNG
I will be flying out on a muzzy hunting trip this fall. I know powder is not allowed on flights. Just wondering what is the best way to get powder out to my destination. Has anyone ever had this issue to deal with?
I’m in the same boat. Tempted to ship some ahead of time to the hotel I’m starting out from with some of my camping gear. Reading the regs it makes me nervous. I have a UPS account but don’t want to get involved with getting hazmat cert just to ship a few oz of bh209. Let me know what you find out and I’ll do the same.

OP
A
I looked at buying some White hots and having them shipped to a friends house near the airport. Now that I’m going out 2 days early I may buy some and do a cabelas in store pick up. I know I won’t use a full pack but I don’t have much choice.

On my muzzleloader hunt I ordered some BH209 online through Bass Pro in Denver and picked it up after I landed.

Down side is they only hold it for a week or two and stuff has been sporadic lately.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Load into brass cased ammo for your checked luggage. Put a bullet puller hammer in your carry-on.
I have always planned on doing this if I ever could draw a muzzy tag. It's never happened, so I cant comment on how TSA looks at this option.
Seems to be the only real, viable solution.
You also gotta think about caps, 209's.....

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You also gotta think about caps, 209's.....
Load them into larger opening cases, 209s should fit into a 9mm or 38/357 straight wall pistol case no problem. Stack them up with some tissue around them/between. If worried about multiple primers in a case just put in one per case, again in some tissue so its not rattling around.

Scrubbuck

FNG
After doing some research I found a few folks telling tales of buddies that got caught with trying to hide primers and powder and were charged with felonies. Odds are low but I wouldn't risk it. I live outside NYC so I found someone that does HAZMAT shipping within 30 minutes of where I live. Its going to cost $75 just to put their blessing on it plus shipping cost. I don't see another option, I don't expect to land in CO and be able to find any 209 primers anywhere.

WRM

WKR
Could you load some shotgun shells? Solves your primer and load BH as your powder. Pour in shot with a cup and roll crimp with a card.

Dremel the primer pocket for a loose fit with a touch of clear nail polish on primer, of course

Last edited:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After doing some research I found a few folks telling tales of buddies that got caught with trying to hide primers and powder and were charged with felonies. Odds are low but I wouldn't risk it. I live outside NYC so I found someone that does HAZMAT shipping within 30 minutes of where I live. Its going to cost $75 just to put their blessing on it plus shipping cost. I don't see another option, I don't expect to land in CO and be able to find any 209 primers anywhere.

I live in Thornton not too far from the airport, I have federal 209A primers presuming you just need like a dozen or such.

Scrubbuck

FNG
I live in Thornton not too far from the airport, I have federal 209A primers presuming you just need like a dozen or such.
I’m thankful for your offer! But I do have to ship my powder. Using BH209 and I can’t rely on any big box store. Also need to work up a load with 777 just in case. Again thank you!

blackdawg

WKR

Pods8 must be a fine fella for this kind of offer to help a brother out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk