Flying Solo; In The Elkwoods

I see alot of interest in solo hunting elk. Obviously there is more than 1 way to skin an elk. The only thing better than hunting them solo, is hunting them solo in the Backcountry. There are so many things to love about hunting solo in the Backcountry, I wouldn't know where to begin other than for me, it was a natural progression.

Starting out at truck camp and accumulated gear for several years all while trying to unlock the elk code and learning what makes them tick, and why they do what they do, and frequent the places they are in, and the who why what when and where elk are calling. Thanks Paul aka Elknut1 for cutting that learning curve.

Hunting solo really happened for me because my buddy's will and would only hunt a couple local units in South Central NM. After my first hunt there is no way I was going to limit myself to a near impossible unit to draw while elk were being hunted and killed elsewhere by others. I couldn't imagine sitting on the sidelines and missing out and started hunting heavily pressured OTC units. Again from the truck, and mostly solo. Then I drew a Gila tag and hunted the Wilderness for the first time

That was all it took for me to know that I was born to hunt solo and Backcountry every chance I get. By then I had all the gear necessary accept a great pack, which I purchased after that hunt. But made due with what I had. And killed my first bull. That was the moment I knew what I was supposed to be doing.

So without further adoo, what is it that draws you to the Backcountry?

And for all of you who fantasize about it, what is it that draws you 1 step closer to being a Backcountry hunter?

Rob5589

WKR
Cool story. I am going solo for my first time, am 0 for 3 so far, still have a ton to learn, going to an all new area, and in my early 50's. I am probably nuts, wife thinks so for sure. Like you, Paul has been sort of a go-to for info and he has graciously answered every question I have asked. The odds are greatly stacked against me. But it is a hell of a lot more fun than sitting at home where it's impossible to kill an elk. :cool:

Last edited:
I enjoy the best of both worlds. I really like having a partner in camp to talk to. We have some laughs and two heads are sometimes better than one when it comes to tomorrow’s game plan. I also very much enjoy my partner’s success as much as my own. But when it’s time to hunt I’m a solo predator. I also use a spike camp which I hunt alone from for several days at a time. I don’t want any distractions when I’m hunting. I hunt at my own unpressed pace. Sometimes aggressive and sometimes I’m sitting back in observation mode. But I definitely like the mix of socializing and solitude.

flemdogg

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt solo mostly out of necessity. I would like a partner but I am very very picky in who that would be. Thus, still rolling solo but in no rush move away from that. However, solo hunting has many advantages and not many disadvantages. You are the captain of your own ship and are solely responsible for success and failure, what more could you ask for in a tough game such as elk hunting?

Howell81

FNG
i plan on hunting Colorado GMU53 this year solo. Not by choice. My buddy and i attacked this unit last year (our first time elk hunting) and learned a ton but didn't seal the deal. This year with covid and life i seem the only one capable of going.

I tried hunting in southern illinois by myself and lasted 2 days then said screw it. Hoping the 19hr drive will force me to stay the full 9 days.

Last edited:

Gapmaster

WKR
Honestly...when I’m up in some nasty backcountry, I feel at peace. I don’t hear/see people (hopefully), I don’t have to answer to anyone on why or how. It’s the only place I’ve ever felt at home.
I don’t live in the “big” mountains but make at least 1-2 trips a year back to the high country. Missed a year once in 24 years and my wife said never again! I think she rat holes money just to get me gone!! 😂

RCB

WKR
For those that solo backpack hunt elk, I'm wondering what kind of distances you limit yourselves to, from the road, for carrying meat out?

flemdogg

Lil-Rokslider
For those that solo backpack hunt elk, I'm wondering what kind of distances you limit yourselves to, from the road, for carrying meat out?

For me its more about how long it takes to cover the distance than actually counting miles in. 5 miles in relatively flatter country can make more sense than 2 miles in near vertical country. Try to keep it at 2.5 to 3 hrs or less for the pack out to the truck with weight. If you can maintain the standard 2-3 mph in the country you are hunting, I would say typically go no further than 6 miles or so if solo. Many places are just too steep to maintain 2-3 mph. I like to give myself a few miles to play with just in case I see something I want to go after. I pick country specifically for the way I hunt. If it doesn't fit my style, I wont hunt it. Guys get all romantic about going deep, but it isn't always necessary. In my experience deer/elk love steep, but not always deep.

Wapiti1

WKR

For me, I'll camp a max of 3 miles from the truck, and plan on a two day packout. All meat to camp the first day, then, sleep. Day two all meat and camp to truck. Even when it is hot out, I've had good results with this strategy. You do have to be more mindful of getting and keeping the meat cool.

Solo hunting is what I normally do. I'm not sure what the definition of back country is, though. I just hunt places no one else is. Sometimes those are a mile or two in, other times, they are on the road. If that means hiking in to camp, or just camping on the road, either works for me. I go where the elk take me.

Jeremy

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I generally don't plan that ahead of time. I just go where I go.........and hunt. And after they're down, then I take care of business regardless how far it is. The closest I've come to a limitation was a few years ago one afternoon and I was getting ready to hike into a great spot, but it's all steep uphill going in.....for a ways. About 100 yards into it I stopped and contemplated the thoughts of getting one down that evening and then packing it out of there........and turned around back to the truck and said "not today". So I guess it depends how I'm feeling each day for me.

I just feel compelled to be out there, and hunting is pretty much all I dream about.

It's hard to find hunting partner(s) that are actually willing to commit the time and effort. So I go alone. Plus the amount of guys who will burn spots after you take them with you is real high. Maybe I just have trust issues LOL.

Finch

WKR
I'm headed out solo this year for the first time. My buddy and I have hunted together every other year since 2015 and got the closest we'd ever gotten to success last year. We didn't plan to hunt this year but I came into some extra vacation from my job for being "essential" and decided to try going solo this year. I will miss the camaraderie but I'm looking forward to being out there alone. I will have the family back at camp to "go home to" but I plan on spiking out a couple nights too.

i plan on hunting Colorado GMU53 this year solo. Not by choice. My buddy and i attacked this unit last year (our first time elk hunting) and learned a ton but didn't seal the deal. This year with covid and life i seem the only one capable of going.

I tried hunting in southern illinois by myself and lasted 2 days then said screw it. Hoping the 19hr drive will force me to stay the full 9 days.

In the scheme of things those 9 days aren't much. If you tough it out. It could be one of the greatest adventures of your life.
If you don't, you might ask "what if?" for the rest of your life. I've ended a couple hunts early and still beat myself up about it.

Enjoy the process. You don't have to bounce ideas off anyone. No one to stop you from pushing over the next ridge, or question your plays. If you have a hard time being alone, download some audiobooks/podcasts to listen to on your down time. I find it helps my brain slow down especially if I'm having a hard time sleeping.

Beendare

WKR
I hunt solo for elk a fair amount.

I found out the downside last year with my recurve calling solo....hard to draw on them. I'm going to utilize my decoy more this year.....

___

I just feel compelled to be out there, and hunting is pretty much all I dream about.

It's hard to find hunting partner(s) that are actually willing to commit the time and effort. So I go alone. Plus the amount of guys who will burn spots after you take them with you is real high. Maybe I just have trust issues LOL.
It's the same exact way for me. No one I hunt with is as serious as I am or puts in close to the amount of time, effort, or money. Come hunting season though they sure do try to get into my spots because I always see bucks. Lol. Its actually super annoying but if I didn't have the few that I hunt with,I would always be going at it alone which I do alot but its nice to go with friends as well. Especially when their is a long drag or pack out.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk