Flying vs driving

Afhunter1

WKR
Last time I flew for a back packing elk hunt this is what my luggage looked like.

49.99# duffle (exo 5500, bow, and pistol inside)

15# carry on. Mainly optics and battery powered stuff

It helps when you shoot a 3 piece trad bow
8C3400D1-9071-4D72-811D-3D65F0FD290D.jpeg

I would agree with drive if it is DIY, fly if guided. My hunting buddy from SC flies out here to MT every year, if his meat is done in time he flies it with him and we UPS his luggage to him.

Whichever you choose, don't get bogged down in factoring in the cost of getting a rack back home. If your hunt ends with something worth mounting, the extra cost will be a pretty palatable burden to bear.

Live on the east! - Been out west 17 times now (Colorado, New Mexico, and Iowa) Have driven every time and always straight through. Not bad when can split driving by 3. But if traveling solo or just one other those 30+ hour drives will wear you down!!!! Takes a day just to feel semi-normal once you get to where your going. If you have the time to waste (2-4 days pending on destination) I feel driving is the way to go. Makes everything simpler. If you have to fly the coolers for meat and FedEx for gear is the way to go

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
Rifle elk hunt, I'm driving all the way now. I'm not a fan of the crowds at the airport or waiting in line, or other people handling my rifle. Then you get your rental truck with street tires (we got a flat last year) and just hope for the best. My buddies and I are investing in a good quality wall tent and camp set up to use out west, but also in the northeast for whitetails or possible moose.

If I go out archery hunting, muley's or pronghorn, I'd might think about flying again.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
Drive, it is easier to get your gear there and back, plus you don't have to worry as much about items being lost in shipment or flight.

I have driven the last 18 yrs due to:
-cost of taking 200 lbs on a plane or shipping UPS increased exponentially
-local butchers skimming meat. Far easier to quarter it and put in coolers.
-hassle of airlines handling guns
-watching baggage handlers chuck rifle cases around
-the adventure, relaxation and company of my hunting partner on the drive.
-I also like having my own truck vs. a rental

I also like not having to worry about cancelled flights diverted airports etc.

rayporter

WKR
very good stuff here on flying with meat and antlers.
yes, i know it is Alaska but still some good tips--- like leave yourself an extra day at the end to prep meat.

F250

FNG
Flying sucks. Once they lost my rifle on the way out. Once they lost my rifle on the way back. Once, my coolers arrived at my home airport without out all the elk and mule deer meat in them !! Once they lost my bag with all my clothes in it on the way out. Once on the way home, a kid sitting across the isle from me, power puked down my leg. I'll drive.

Question, How on earth are some of you shipping your meat? I shipped half of an elk to my dad who lives in PA (Im in AZ) through UPS 3 day and it was over $400. Package was tightly packed and weighed 86lbs.

FLAK

WKR
I did the same with a Gemsbok off the White Sands.
100 lbs of meat,,about 400$ or so w/UPS.
That was 10 yrs. ago.

I started driving years ago. Yes it takes longer, but the advantages outweigh that. You take and bring what you want. And you come and go as you please! I was tired of being treated like crap by the airports and airlines.

Driving is part of the adventure. Definitely easier on the way out than the way back but so much less stress
than flying. Guns , coolers, missed connections, weather, cost of bringing meat back...no thank you.

I drove 27 hrs to Northern BC for a moose hunt once by myself. It was beautiful country. No stress or issues
bringing all the moose meat back in coolers vs. picking 100 lbs to put on a plane.

I drove 26 hrs to hunt ducks 9 years straight. Once me and my buddies lucked out and got a cheap house we bought we fly up 2-3 times a year now since all of our gear is there.
But any other hunting I drive except turkeys.
Turkeys are just to easy to fly them home and gear back and fourth.
Deer or anything else it’s just a logistic nightmare to fly it home if successful.
I’m in Alabama and plan on driving to Wyoming and Idaho

The only time driving is a drag is if it is a late season hunt and you have to worry about snow.
Other than that I enjoy the "me" time and I love my truck....sounds like a country song.