Flying with a backpack?

BuckSnort

WKR
I'll be flying to WA in a couple days to visit family and do some backpacking while I'm there... I'm pretty sure my 6000ci pack is too big for carry on luggage and I will have to do the "checked luggage" route... Anyone just use the pack only as a checked item without boxing it up? I figured I'd take my valuables (camera's bino's etc...) with me in a small pack as a carry on and just basically have clothes and non breakable items in the checked bag... Probably should take all the plastic buckles off too so they don't get broken..

Anyone have any luck doing this...Nothing like waiting till the last minute...lol..

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pack it up and wrap a few rounds of saran wrap around it. Cheap, easy and keeps it from getting dirty.

2rocky

WKR
Put it in an Army surplus duffel. Should protect the straps from getting ripped off. I do like the Saran wrap Idea too...

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Put it in an Army surplus duffel. Should protect the straps from getting ripped off. I do like the Saran wrap Idea too...

Works awesome, Just remember to leave a strap or handle exposed for carrying it. Learned that one the hard way haha.

I've done it many many times. It's actually darn handy to be able to just put your pack on at the the baggage claim and walk off with it. The majority of the time I just tighten the straps and tie up as many loose ends as I can find and drop it on the belt. However, these other guys make good points. There is a chance of damage and the belts can rub hole in the corners. If you have an oversize duffel you can put it in, that works pretty good for protection, although less handy to carry. I also recently lost a digital camera out of a pack pocket (stolen I assume) so that is another good reason to double bag it.

Yk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I say you use it as carry on and I bet no one blinks an eye. I have seen dozens of people use back packs bigger than yours as carry on and it was no big deal. If they say something then check it at the gate.

I say you use it as carry on and I bet no one blinks an eye. I have seen dozens of people use back packs bigger than yours as carry on and it was no big deal. If they say something then check it at the gate.

I used my T1 as a carry on all this weekend.... it does compress down pretty small though :)

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Cover it with a duffel. It will get damaged unless you are very lucky.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
I'd like to use it as a carry on but the size restrictions are 24"L x 17"W x 10"Deep... I'm over every one of those by several inches...

Thanks for all the input... I'm liking the large duffel idea, once I get it from baggage claim I can take it out and lash the duffel to the outside and wear it out of the airport...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those measurements are not followed strictly at all. But go with what your comfortable with, usually means less stress on an individual.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I flew with my 7200 cu in Kifaru T1 with no issues, they compress much smaller than most hardside carry-ons on wheels.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
The airport here in Fresno has a X-ray machine on a production line type of belt... If the pack wont go through this machine I believe it has to be checked... I think most packs over 4000cu wouldn't pass through this device..Unless I'm wrong and they hand scan the larger items but I have always seen them use that certain machine... BTW Luke, the Sawyer In Line and the Platy Big Zip, is one awesome system..Thanks for the help...

I flew with my 7200 cu in Kifaru T1 with no issues, they compress much smaller than most hardside carry-ons on wheels.

Yep... every time I had to go through security I just clipped all the buckles together and cinched em all down tight so the bag would roll through the scanners no problem.

I got more attention with the 300 Norma chamber reamer, go gauge, action wrench, and blank bar stock that I pulled out and put in their own bin for scanning... :-S

Mike

swat8888

WKR
I pack my entire bag in another big bag I have so there is no damage to my pack. All optics are hand carried.

Never done this, but I thought about stuffing my pack in a 100qt cooler, then checking it as one item. When you get done with the hunt hopefully you will have a cooler full of meat to take back on the plane and you can ship back your pack via UPS. I havent looked into it enough to see how much more expensive it would be with overweight bag fees, etc. Anyone ever tried this?

2rocky

WKR
TFE. Shouldn't be a problem. Weight fees vary with airline. Sometimes Oversize items go on a different carousel or to the baggage office.

Waited until 3:30 am for my bowcase one year in Vegas the night before the World archery Festival. Shot at 8:00 am the next morning. Rough weekend..

tstowater

WKR
Waited until 3:30 am for my bowcase one year in Vegas the night before the World archery Festival. Shot at 8:00 am the next morning. Rough weekend..

I had to get quite upset last fall when I was in Vegas before my guncase mysteriously showed up. I had taken a picture of it and stored on my phone. Thinking that someone was trying to steal it. I let the airline know what I thought of them. I am going to use my backpack as a carry-on in a couple week. I will have a checked bag and will have the backpack cinched down fairly small and just carrying important and expensive things (optics and camera) that won't take up a lot of room.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I throw mine in a 115 cu in dry bag and pack around It. Take out valuable and tags!