Flying with a one piece recurve

cocky84

WKR
Whenever i would take a rifle on an airplane i would put my gun in a soft case and then put it inside a golf club case and pack cloths and other soft gear in around it. Figure this way im not paying a checked bag fee for rifle only.

Im thinking about this same concept with a one piece but obviously a golf club case will not be long enough. I am thinking about a snowboard case. Anyone every try this or anything similar?

Attachments

• FDA898D4-C134-48C3-BC12-D2607487DE7E.png
    FDA898D4-C134-48C3-BC12-D2607487DE7E.png
    588.1 KB · Views: 16

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
We used to carry them right on and they would put them in the first class coat closet. Not sure anymore. Even if they said yes you might get a person with an opinion at the airport that contradicts.
Sometimes they price skis and other things at a lower rate so could put in tube and check.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Flying for hunts is the reason I don’t shoot a one piece.

I understand trust me. I actually bought a pma for that reason. However i have a one piece ptf that was the first real recurve i ever had and killed several deer with it. If i get a chance to kill a moose it would be pretty cool to do it with that one.

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
The snowboard bags and ski bags I have a long bow or recurve wouldn’t survive the airplane jockeys. Have you thought about a rod box for fishing?
I was kinda wondering that by the look of the pictures. Ive never been around one so I appreciate your feedback on them. Ive actually been looking at the flambeua bazuka pro rod holder. I think it will do the job!! Thanks

Beendare

WKR
I understand trust me. I actually bought a pma for that reason. However i have a one piece ptf that was the first real recurve i ever had and killed several deer with it. If i get a chance to kill a moose it would be pretty cool to do it with that one.
Yeah,I love the look and feel of those one piece Recurves and Longbows.

I’ve stayed away from shooting them as I don’t want to get hooked!

Somebody will have a good solution for flying with them. 3 Rivers has some hard cases, HERE

Check out Sport Tubes. I use them for long spearguns and freediving fins. In fact, If you are ever in the Northern Colorado area, I have a brand new one I'd let go cheap. I won it in a raffle, and don't need 2 of them. (don't think I could ship it as cheap as you buying a new one and having it shipped)

What bkspyder said, I made a schedule 40 pvc bow pipe/case to carry my longbow in, not enough space in my truck. Place it in the bed of the truck and no worries. Tuff enough to place things on the case and heavy enough not to worry about blowing out of the back. You can leave it out in a rain in the case and no worries (like we ever get rain). No clue about flying with it, definitely would have to fly in cargo area.

nilo80

FNG
Check out Far North Archery. They make cases for takedowns and one piece bows. I have one and have flown with my one piece. Highly recommend.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a 4” pvc pipe to get my dads old bear grizzly across the country. Not cheap.. But it definitely made me want to get a take down. So Dan is building me a Toelke Whistler TD!

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Not much help for a recurve, but I have been known to stuff my selfbow in a pvc tube next to a couple of fly rods, put a dozen or so fly fishing/outdoor stickers on it, check it in, and it flys for free out of my home town Bozeman MT

TX_Diver

WKR
Depending on where you're going you could possibly ship it there in advance too and then have your takedown bow in your checked bags as a backup.

PVC, fly rod, sport tube, etc. are all good options though. Also consider hitting up home depot or lowes and asking for the cardboard tube from inside a roll of carpet. I did that to ship an 8' fishing pole once. Saved me a ton of $$$.

mooster

WKR
Know it’s an old thread but I found this as a solution for my longbow. A plano extendable fishing rod tube, $95 Amazon. Room enough to roll in some clothes for padding, and the arrow case too.

Attachments

• 0ADE22C7-A46E-46AC-953C-A3B149585459.jpeg
    0ADE22C7-A46E-46AC-953C-A3B149585459.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 9FCCF5A8-7138-4FE4-802E-11818F7CF0D7.jpeg
    9FCCF5A8-7138-4FE4-802E-11818F7CF0D7.jpeg
    440.4 KB · Views: 13