Flying with ammo

HunterMN

FNG
Does everyone put the ammo in their hard case with their rifle or pack it in your checked bag? If I’m reading the TSA regs correct you can go either way. I’ve never flown with a rifle and ammo before and just checking what is way to go. Thanks

mcseal2

WKR
Personally I put a box for the rifle and a box for the handgun in each. That way I maximize my chances of having it when I need it.

I also shoot the same Nosler 300 win 180gr E tip ammo as my buddy I hunt with. His rifle loves it and mine is still sub MOA with it. It’s one more back-up option to both have the same ammo on hunts we fly to. Its factory ammo in the factory box also so there is no hang-up there.

Wapiti1

WKR
In the rifle case with the rifle. I don't separate ammo from firearm unless required (overseas travel). Having the ammo without the rifle is just maddening and does you zero good. Having the rifle with no ammo is usually a repairable situation, but not always. If the ammo is with the rifle, then you are good.

I'd rather it all doesn't arrive, or I'm good to go.

Tape your ammo boxes shut with painters tape. They come open sometimes and then you won't see that ammo or the luggage it was packed in.

Jeremy

Bring the TSA regulations with you to the airport. Some of the airport personnel don't know shiit. Last week United Airlines told me I need TSA locks on my gun case. I told her not on a firearm, only for a suitcase.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
In the rifle case with the rifle. I don't separate ammo from firearm unless required (overseas travel). Having the ammo without the rifle is just maddening and does you zero good. Having the rifle with no ammo is usually a repairable situation, but not always. If the ammo is with the rifle, then you are good.

I'd rather it all doesn't arrive, or I'm good to go.

Tape your ammo boxes shut with painters tape. They come open sometimes and then you won't see that ammo or the luggage it was packed in.

Jeremy

I always put my ammo with my firearm in the locked hard-case when flying commercial. My logic for doing so is the same as Wapiti1's...well said guy.

I'll also just mention as an FYI that I hand-load, so my ammunition is not in a factory box, which is specified in the regulations. Mine is in a 20-round "mtm case-gard" plastic box with a load label filled-out on the box, and the box is taped closed. I was ready to defend the lack of a factory box the first time I flew under those regulations, but it has never been questioned whatsoever in the dozen times I've done it.. That said, I want to qualify that I've only flown within-state with firearms. Perhaps the TSA guys up here see that a lot.

This year, I flew with one box in my locked gun case and one in my checked bag, for the reason mcseal2 noted about improving the odds that one makes it. In the past, I've always put it in my checked bag, just for simplicity. TSA regs say either is fine.

Make sure it is in the factory box or an ammo case like others noted. Loose ammo will cause huge issues. Tape the boxes shut.

And do not use TSA-approved locks on your gun case. It is not required, as confirmed by the TSA site and, just to be safe, this year in a conversation with an Alaska Airlines rep.

My own two-cents: having regs printed or pulled up on your phone might help, but probably not. You can always ask for the TSA supervisor and appeal to them, but I think it is better to be prepared. Check your gun case first, and ask the inspecting agent or gate agent to confirm you are ok to have the ammo in and use non-TSA locks. If they say no, ask for the supervisor, and if they still say no, put the ammo in the checked bag and have a couple TSA-locks to put on your gun case. Other option is missing your flight.