Flying with backpacks

NUKE

FNG
I’m looking at the mystery ranch pintler. Has anybody traveled with that bag, or one similarly sized, as a carry-on when flying? It’s about 6 to 8 inches longer than what airlines call a carry-on, but I’m wondering if they even bother with it since it’s a backpack. thoughts?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s a gamble. Domestic, most of the time you can get away with it, occasionally you won’t and you’ll have to check/pay at gate. Depends on the airline, flight, and how the employee you deal with is feeling that day.

16Bore

WKR
Pack it in a suitcase with all your other gear, rangefinder and binoculars in your carry on.

Werty

WKR
I have seen a lot oh hikers carrying big backpacks as carry on. Try it, worst case they make you check it.

McCoppin

FNG
Curious as well as I just ordered a pintler

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Buzby

WKR
I just traveled with my Seek Outside pack. It has a 24” frame. Most carry on restrictions are 22”. 2 domestic flight and 2 international flights. I was able to carry on, on all flights. It was a snug fit in most of the bins though. I think a 25” frame would not have fit.

JDeck

FNG
I use a Kifaru Timberline 5200 and have brought it on several planes. On the last trip, I took the stays out and brought a carry on suit case as well.

If you have check it make sure the straps are all tucked way and request a bin. Every time I’ve checked in a pack they would want to just toss it on the conveyor. I’m like “ah got a bin for that?” And they’re like “yea that’s a good idea.” :rolleyes:

AdamLewis

FNG
Boarding in the US you are 99% likely to get it on with no problem. 1% they make you check it planeside. Doesn't matter much unless you are going to have something irreplaceable inside.

weaver

WKR
Never had a problem with my 24" kifaru.
Seems backpacks get a free pass, I've seen them allow much bigger packs on board while people had to check in much smaller roller bags plane-side

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
I travel with an Exo 3500 a lot, had one run-in with an overzealous gate agent and had to remove my belt and lid. I took lid as a personal time and took the belt off and wore it. Looked stupid, and it pissed off the agent, but I won. I almost had to gate check the pack that time.

Bottom line. Your backpack does not comply with the size requirements. Period. End of story. Do all you can to make it look small, especially recommend binding down the chest straps and removing the belt before the gate agents scrutinize it.

You may get lucky every time, but there may be a day when you're hosed. Greatest risk is short jumper/connector flights w/small planes and tight overhead, but gate-checking for those flights usually means you can grab it back as you depart the plane and walk down the roll-up stairs at a small airport like Montrose, CO.

Just hope that the day you get busted isn't the day your pack is full of optics and electronics while the baggage guys have their way with it.

JL

OP
N

NUKE

FNG
Thanks guys. I’m going to pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Kotaman

WKR
There's no way anyone will hassle you about the Pintler being over sized. I've travelled the world with 26" frame Kifaru's and 25" frame Stone Glaciers and it has never been an issue with the major airlines. Have you seen some of the stuffed full North Face packs some of these hikers take on a plane?

Trial153

WKR
I have flown southwest maybe 3 or 4 round trip flights with a pintler. No issues.
I will most likey take it to AZ next month for coues .

Jorge400

FNG
Thanks guys. I’m going to pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Just have a plan to get any valuables/breakables out of your pack if they make you gate check it. Spotting scopes, binos, range finders, etc. I was watching baggage handlers drop gate checked bags down to one another for loading. When I got to my destination both wheels on my rolling carry on were crushed. Guess what? The guy down below did not catch my bag. All I could think was I was glad it was not a trip where I had my pack with a spotter as it would have surely been damaged.

boom

WKR
i fly SWA with my Mystery Ranch DragonSlayer all the time. i carry my optics in it, maybe a jacket. i can crunch it into that test bin easy.

WCB

WKR
Carried my Stone Glacier on flights all over the US and Canada. no issues. I also took it carry on to New Zealand. Was kind of nervous on the way back to the US. Pack kinda smelled like bull Tahr but no one said a thing.

Jorge400

FNG
Carried my Stone Glacier on flights all over the US and Canada. no issues. I also took it carry on to New Zealand. Was kind of nervous on the way back to the US. Pack kinda smelled like bull Tahr but no one said a thing.

LOL. Good point.