Flying with bow and hand gun

IL Red

FNG
Anyone know if you can pack a cased hand gun in the same TSA approved bow case?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I actually recommend flying with a handgun in your hard bow case, as I did this last year. You just need to use regular locks, not tsa locks, and declare when you get to check-in. The biggest benefit of declaring a handgun at check-in, you are basically guaranteeing that your bow isn't going to get lost. From time to time, airlines will send your bags on separate flights and will meet you at your destination. This will never happen with a gun! They will sign for the bag/box at check-in and you will have to sign for it at your destination. Your box will not arrive on the belt with general baggage as it will go to a special checkpoint. So if you basically want to guarantee you bows safe arrival, put a gun in the box.

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never had an issue. I keep mine locked in its own case in the bow case. Just make sure the ammo is in it own box and not loose in the case. They also at checkin with the airline ask you to sign a form stating that it is unloaded. Then you walk with the bag to the TSA checkpoint. At least in Atlanta and Denver you do. That’s the only place I have flown. It has always been a smooth trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Packed a pistol in a locked hard case inside my Nomad many times.

The key is reading each airlines procedure beforehand.

FWIW, If you are talking about Alaska, some of the backwoods airports can screw you up as they don't have a TSA checkpoint, so your bags won't get checked all the way through.....requiring you to get your bags rechecked at a larger airport. This CAN cause you to miss a tight connection.

fwafwow

WKR
I actually recommend flying with a handgun in your hard bow case, as I did this last year. You just need to use regular locks, not tsa locks, and declare when you get to check-in. The biggest benefit of declaring a handgun at check-in, you are basically guaranteeing that your bow isn't going to get lost. From time to time, airlines will send your bags on separate flights and will meet you at your destination. This will never happen with a gun! They will sign for the bag/box at check-in and you will have to sign for it at your destination. Your box will not arrive on the belt with general baggage as it will go to a special checkpoint. So if you basically want to guarantee you bows safe arrival, put a gun in the box.

I plan on doing this, in part, so that I'm certain that no one in the back will open my case to dig around in it. I like to pack lots of clothes and other stuff in my big (SKB) bow case, and when TSA checks it out behind the scenes, stuff is inevitably messed up. And agree that you HAVE to use non-TSA locks.

fwafwow

WKR
And for anyone who is flying with an SKB case, what non-TSA locks are you using - and how many? I *think* I can get away with only 2, but the TSA determination as to whether someone can pry open a big case has me thinking I should use 3 or 4, and perhaps will require a longer shackles.

TheCougar

WKR
Does your pistol need to be in a separate case, or if I put a slide lock on it can I just throw it inside the bow case and lock the bow case?

fwafwow

WKR
I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that as long as the bow case is locked in the manner required as if it was a rifle case, it should be OK.

colonel00

WKR
Does your pistol need to be in a separate case, or if I put a slide lock on it can I just throw it inside the bow case and lock the bow case?

I have flown many times with bows in an SKB case along with "loose" pistols. At that point, the entire case becomes the gun case and must be locked up enough so there is no way to access the firearm. It's better to be safe and just put as many locks on it as you can. Maybe even bring a couple extra. Having to buy some at the airport, if you can find non-tsa locks, can be expensive and a huge time suck. Also remember, ammo in a box, ideally the box the ammo came in.

colonel00

WKR
And for anyone who is flying with an SKB case, what non-TSA locks are you using - and how many? I *think* I can get away with only 2, but the TSA determination as to whether someone can pry open a big case has me thinking I should use 3 or 4, and perhaps will require a longer shackles.

As I just mentioned, it's not worth the risk of time, hassle and money at the airport. Just get as many locks as you can on the case and even bring a couple extra if you have space.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
The question is if they can get the firearm out as to the number and types of locks you need. Likely, one of those cable locks will allow too much opening allowing retrieval of a weapon.

I've never flown with a bow, but I just pack a handgun in my checked luggage. Locked, hard case, check in with airline, put in luggage, lock the luggage with a TSA lock.

Kinda off topic and it doesn’t relate to the OP question, but the last time I flew with a bow (just a bow in the case), TSA treated it exactly like a firearm. In fact, they scrutinized it a little more with tearing the entire case apart, taking the foam out, etc., before finally locking it up and sending it.

colonel00

WKR
Kinda off topic and it doesn’t relate to the OP question, but the last time I flew with a bow (just a bow in the case), TSA treated it exactly like a firearm. In fact, they scrutinized it a little more with tearing the entire case apart, taking the foam out, etc., before finally locking it up and sending it.

Interesting and good to know since I usually stuff my bow case with clothes and other stuff. I did notice that the firearms check procedure at ANC was a bid different this summer. With my .44 locked in a small case, they did check the whole case and take the foam out or check behind it. Not really sure what they were looking for since the gun is right there. Perhaps looking for loose ammo or some other explosive that could be tucked in with a gun.

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, that could work. I'm out of town right now so I cannot check what I use or which case I have. I think it's the double bow case. I do seem to recall needing longer shackles on locks but I can't remember if it's for the bow case or my rifle case. I can check next week when I'm back home.

Interesting and good to know since I usually stuff my bow case with clothes and other stuff. I did notice that the firearms check procedure at ANC was a bid different this summer. With my .44 locked in a small case, they did check the whole case and take the foam out or check behind it. Not really sure what they were looking for since the gun is right there. Perhaps looking for loose ammo or some other explosive that could be tucked in with a gun.
Yeah, we got some really great TSA folks up here....NOT!

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks to the OP for the thread and all the inputs. It answered a lot of questions.