Flying with euro mount

92xj

WKR
instead of shipping a euro mount, I am thinking about flying with it instead. It would be checked and the fee for me would only be $30, instead of roughly $100 with UPS. I am thinking of finding a lockable lid tote to put it in to keep it protected to then check at the airport. Anyone done this method before and had issues?

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I have done this exact same thing multiple times. Be sure to carry some duct tape to secure the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Was there ever a need to open the tote?
I was thinking of getting one of the heavier duty ones that have aligning holes to put on a lock to make sure the lid stays on. If they need in, then I could do the duck tape method and hope they replace the tape if they cut it?

kravguy

WKR
On a domestic flight, there should be no need to open the tote. If coming back international, and need to clear customs, it's possible they could ask to see in it. Never had it happen though. We've done this plenty of times bringing horns back from Sask whitetail trips.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'd go the locking tote route, TSA may still open it and check. On a recent flight I had 3 of 4 checked bags opened and checked. If you're relying on duct tape to keep it closed and secured, I'm not sure they would re tape it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id try small zip ties and holes drilled in the tote lid and body and put some extras on top. Wouldn't count on anything though but the easier you make it for them the better odds you have of them securing your package after opening.
Hell I can't get tsa to replace my locks when they check my bags and I fly regularly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Well, a decent problem to have I guess, the head doesn't fit in the largest tote.
Has anyone done this in a cardboard box and had issues? I'm just going to make a cardboard box that fits it perfect, tape the crap out of it and hope for the best?

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
Well, a decent problem to have I guess, the head doesn't fit in the largest tote.
Has anyone done this in a cardboard box and had issues? I'm just going to make a cardboard box that fits it perfect, tape the crap out of it and hope for the best?

Yes. Just put as much bubble wrap as you can around the antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squamch

WKR
A buddy flew from northern bc to southern bc. Checked a box, and asked for fragile stickers.
"What's in the box sir?"
"An elk skull."
"A what?"
"An elk skull. It's clean."
"Uuuhhh....we're gonna have to have a look at that."

They opened it up, checked that it was clean, and set him on his way. Cardboard box, shrink wrap, bubble wrap, tape.

wytx

WKR
Bubble wrap the skull part and cut short pieces of water hose to put over the antler tips, it protects them from breakage and from poking through the box. Tape the hose pieces to the antlers if needed.

ramses342

FNG
I know for Alaska airlines at least anything with antlers has to be on a hard case like a wood box or plastic. I don’t think cardboard would be OK for them atleast that’s how I am reading the regulations. I am flying back with one this Christmas from Alaska and everything said above is basically what I have been reading.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know for Alaska airlines at least anything with antlers has to be on a hard case like a wood box or plastic. I don’t think cardboard would be OK for them atleast that’s how I am reading the regulations. I am flying back with one this Christmas from Alaska and everything said above is basically what I have been reading.
4 years ago I flew back from Alaska with three split Caribou racks in a huge cardboard box. All points had to be covered that's about all we did

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ramses342

FNG
Ok yeah I looked on their website and it says
"The item must be wrapped in shrink wrap or plastic covering, and packaged in an enclosed, hard-sided container. (e.g. box or crate)."
I took hard-sided to mean something other than cardboard but yeah it totally could be. I am bringing a plastic box down with mine in it so I am not worried but I would call personally if I was using cardboard.