Flying with firearm question

AKBorn

WKR
You might also have some terrible firearms laws to deal with. Illinois has a Firearms Owner ID card.
Once you take possession of the firearm in the terminal you would be in violation. If you were connecting, the airline remains in possession.

People have been arrested in NJ after their flights were diverted and they picked up their firearms.

I would recommend if you have to switch airlines:
  1. extend your layover to 2 hrs
  2. connect through a free state
Thanks for this info - not a typical scenario, and very easy for people to not think about if they have never had to do this.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought my question was different but still relevant to this discussion.

I am going to AK in September/October to Cordova. Will there be an issue with this flight given the first leg is american airlines and the rest is alaska with regards to traveling with a firearm?

1650296629654.png

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought my question was different but still relevant to this discussion.

I am going to AK in September/October to Cordova. Will there be an issue with this flight given the first leg is american airlines and the rest is alaska with regards to traveling with a firearm?

View attachment 402514

I'd contact the airlines, to get it straight from the horse's mouth .....

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
RE: FOID issue, I'm an IL resident and have flown in and out of MDW and ORD with firearms multiple times and not once has anyone asked to see a FOID. As stated earlier, non-residents do not need to have a FOID, particularly unloaded and locked in a case as you would need them to be to check them on a flight. If you really do need to claim and re-check that could be a long process depending on how quickly baggage gets unloaded and how long lines for the airline's baggage desk and security are. It's also a gamble on where your checked firearm will end up. If I recall correctly, at MDW I've had them just show up at the oversized baggage area with strollers and other items and at ORD I needed to go to the baggage office with an ID.