Flying with Gear

Typically I drive on my trips but last year I flew due to the area I hunted in Idaho being a 36hr drive. lol. We all know airports are notorious for just throwing bags and luggage around like its indestructible so here's my issue. My bowcase did its job and all was well however my pack not so much. It arrived at the final destination showing wear and even had a hole about the size of a dime in it. How can I prevent this? I was thinking about possibly some heavy duty canvas bag I could put my bag inside to protect the straps and wear of the conveyors. Any suggestions?

WCB

WKR
I've flown a bunch with gear. I usually have my pack fairly empty except for the stuff that stays in it 100% of the time. I pack it into a large duffel bag and pack all my other "gear" and clothing in the duffel bag. I don't send my pack through as the main luggage always pack inside of something.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put my pack in a duffle when i fly. Even a heavy duty garage sack and duck tape will help keep the straps from from catching in a conveyor belt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tjihrig

FNG
When my buddies come out they ship a gear box 2 weeks before to my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Unless you have a Barney's Freighter, take your pack as a carry on. I fly with my SO Revolution fairly often. Just cinch it down so it fits in the overhead. All optics and camera gear go in my pack as well.

Jeremy

Pack in duffle. Allows room for extra gear as well. Get your 50#s worth!

I actually usually carry on my fullsize pack. Never had an issue with that.

I posted a thread regarding flying with my pack a couple months ago -

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I put as much gear as I can in my carry on then I'll put the remainder in a duffle and then the duffle goes inside of a cooler. I'll tape the cooler up and hopefully on the way home I'll have the cooler full of meat.