Flying with Pack etc.?

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I usually prefer to drive for western hunts but drew a Chugach Mountain goat tag. Is it particularly risky to check my loaded pack? I would like to check my pack and rifle, then carry on a small bag for when in town?

I have flown with my pack several times... I pack an extra waist buckle and an extra couple of the smaller buckles just incase, cheap insurance. I also strap the waist belt and shoulder straps together so they are less likely to get hung up on anything. Don't fly with your stove fuel, the airlines get a little excited over that.
Good luck on the hunt!

I put my pack inside a large suitcase. Much less tempting, and lockable. TSA lock unless you use a large Pelican case and put a firearm in it. Then non-TSA lock.

Inside a duffle. I use a big ass north face one but a cheap one works too. Conveyor belts, etc can be murder on pack straps. Years ago had a buddies shoulder strap get nearly torn off in transit. He had to grab a pack at a mil surplus store For the trip. I also don’t think the airline paid for the damage.

If you check it put it inside a cheap duffel to protect your bag's straps and stuff the duffel to get your 50#s worth!
I generally carry on my pack with my optics and anything expensive/hard to replace. I fold the hip belt around the backside and I'm able to stuff it into the overhead.

Johnboy

WKR
There is no way I'm checking my pack without first putting it in something else. I fly a lot for work, and my luggage takes an absolute beating. I swear, the baggage handlers drag my bags by a rope across the tarmac.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I put my 6900cc pack and a good bit of other gear inside of a kuiu 9000 taku. Has been to NWT Canada, Alaska, and several other lower 48 trips......probably 20 flights so far, and is none the worse for wear.

Wear boots on plane, and carry on a small gym bag sized duffel with binos, spotter, down jacket, cash, shaving kit/medications.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
For a couple of years me and my hunting buddy would just check our loaded backpacks when we flew for hunting and hiking trips out West. Took normal precautions of tucking straps, no loose buckles, etc. We both had our frames bent and I nearly had my waist belt completely ripped off my pack. As others have described we've now gone to placing our loaded packs into large duffels and have had no further pack damage. He uses a duffel from REI and I use the largest duffel that RTIC coolers sells. I think my RTIC duffel is 170 liters so a large pack fits easily. It also has pack straps so you can wear it like a backpack when you have all that stuff to carry at the airport.

Also, buy one of the small electronic travel scales on amazon to weigh your pack and duffel. My experience is the airline check-in folks don't really worry about the dimensional/size limits but they damn sure care about the weight limits.

MattB

WKR
I would carry on your pack with tag/license, optics, boots, and a set of camo in case you lose a bag.

If you feel the need to check it, put it in a duffel.

Always have an extra hip belt buckle squirreles away somewhere in your pack. Always.

Maki35

WKR
I would put the backpack in a larger duffle bag or suitcase if I'm checking the backpack in at the airport. I don't like the possibilities of the backpack getting damaged on a conveyer belt or handling.

I have had a brand new heavy duty nylon suitcase damaged/torn while traveling by plane.
You may also want to carry some extra clothes/important items in a carry-on. The airport lost my luggage twice. My luggage was later found and delivered to my hotel 1 & 2 days later.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
I've only done this once myself. But will likely be doing it again this year.

I have a duffel that will fit my SG Sky Archer and load it in there to protect buckles and straps. Same with the bino harness, it goes in the duffel. I put my collapsible stove in a pvc pipe and it goes in also.

Ive flown westward with a checked hunting pack and gear exactly once, but i added cheap damage insurance by putting it all in an REI duffle bag designed and sized for such a task.
Actually never thought of the duffel, but I will be doing that in the future...