Flying with Suppressor to Hunt?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Does anyone have experience with flying with a suppressor?

If so, what are the protocols, or is it just like a sling, bipod, or scope cover where you can just take it in your carry on ?

I flew mine on a rifle to Texas last year, just had a copy of my tax stamp in my gun case right on top for them to see if they questioned it, had no issues.

Fitzwho

WKR
No one checking you in is going to have any clue what they are looking at. Have a copy of your paperwork on you and one in the case as stated above. No one is allowed to open your gun case without you present. If TSA freaks and calls the ATF, you’ll have the proper paperwork. Just make sure it’s legal in the states you are passing through (layovers) and where you plan to hunt.

Stid2677

WKR
It is considered a firearm, in a locked case in the hold, no carry on. Take a photo of your stamp and keep it on your phone as a backup.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
It is considered a firearm

This is what I was wondering about. Since they made me fill out an ATF form and do another BG check after the stamp came in, I thought that might be the case, but thank you for confirming

DBird

FNG
Per the TSA website:
Firearm parts
, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
Not worth the risk, check it with firearm.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Per the TSA website:
Firearm parts
, including magazines, clips, bolts and firing pins, are prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
Not worth the risk, check it with firearm.

I can confirm - I got in trouble once for carrying my rifle bolt in my carryon. (Dumb - I had found something *online* suggesting this approach to make it less likely that my rifle might be lifted in security.) I was kicked out of TSA preCheck initially for a year, then reduced to six months after an appeal. I was only able to get the bolt back (a Cooper) because my BIL is in federal law enforcement and knows a guy in TSA.