Flying with two rifles.

So I've been getting my google-fu on and also checked over the forum here, can't really find an answer. Me and a buddy are planning a hunt this year that's gonna be about a 30 hour drive one way from my house. So, been kicking around the idea of flying and just renting a vehicle when we get there. I know flying with a rifle isn't too difficult but what I'm wondering about is if we both share a case. I've already got a Pelican Vault double rifle case. Will an airline let two different gun owners put both of their rifles in one case without too much hassle? Extra paperwork? Just tell'em they're both mine? What do y'all think?

Marble

WKR
They'll never know who owns them/purchased them. They can't run the number to find out so it's probably only an issue if they let you take two or not.

It was only until a few years ago that long guns retained dealer recorded sales beyond one year. I'm not sure if that's a federal thing or a CA thing.

I would just call and chat with the airline about it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The process for 2 guns in a case is the same - "I have unloaded firearms I need to declare in my locked case".
It's not the airline's concern who owns them. The case would be checked in under one of your itineraries. I would definitely use a single case versus 2 - less hassle, chance of getting lost, and save a bag fee...

BjornF16

WKR
Another option is mailing the rifles to yourselves. Perfectly legal.

I did that going to a shooting school in Idaho. Mailed it to myself at the hotel address. Obviously coordinated with the hotel first.

Just don't try it with a handgun...

Catchfish

WKR
Just use your 2 gun case and use the fly like you normally would they make it to easy not to do it. The 50 lb limit still exists.

Htm84

WKR
I flew with like 9 guns in one case once. Out of California too. Tsa just looked at them and put the tag in the case. They gave me more trouble carrying change in my carry on.

WCB

WKR
Just make sure you don'tyell "I HAVE A GUN"...haha but seriously I didn't do exactly that but on the way to New Zealand my wife and I got our boarding passes and were standing in line to check our bags and the guy behind the counter saw us like 4th from the front and pointed at me and loudly said..."HEY GUY WITH THE BEARD...YOU GOT A GUN" the panic on everyone around me was funny as hell and they definitely made space for me to go up front.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve travelled with 3 cases containing 12 guns (rifles and pistols) as well as enough Ammo to get each of the cases up to 50lbs.

It wasn’t a problem at all.

davidsapp

Lil-Rokslider
Only trouble we’ve ever had flying with firearms is when my knot head brother in law tried to check his gun case without locks on it when leaving Denver. He was able to buy a couple locks near ticketing, but it could have been more trouble than we wanted.

Since then we’ve bought several matching long shank Masterlocks with identical keys to make it easier and have backup keys in case a key gets misplaced

Catchfish

WKR
Thats my biggest fear is losing the keys for the locks, I’ve never lost a set of keys in my life!! Knock on wood but I put one set in my pocket and carabiner a set in my carry on.

Have a set of tsa locks, regular locks and zip ties in your case along with print of TSA rules & airline rules. I had the AA jokers at salt lake tell me I could not use regular locks a few months ago and I promptly told him to go to hell. Asked for his manager and had the TSA printed docs with me inside the case to show him the regs. he was giving me a story that they needed to have TSA locks for gun cases. You never know what you are going to get as far as a gate agent.

We've always use a pair of separate cases between me and kids...flying out have rei duffel bags in them...on way back stuff full of clothes and whatever meat I can fit. Then shove the rest of the meat in sleeping bags / trash bags into the duffels and whatever else is left into the rollerboard and carryon backpack. TSA loves me...Denver a year or two back the TSA guy behind the xray machine says cantelope to the girl getting ready to open up my rollerboard...and he is grinning ear to ear. She let out a yelp that paused the entire line.

Honyock

WKR
Don't use the TSA locks unless you want some jackass messing with your scope. As Packin_packout said, print off the rules and take it with you. You may have to "educate" TSA on their own rules.

Check your airline....over 50lbs can trigger an overweight charge as well as oversize ( >62 linear inches) can add an additional charge in addition to the checked bag fee. See link below. Typically the hard gun case is over 62 linear inches. See American Airlines oversize/overweight fee ($200) in addition to the check bag fee(1st checked bag fee is different, than 2nd checked bag fee, different than 3+ checked bag fee). Alaska airline oversize/overweight fee is $100..."If a checked bag falls into more than one fee category (piece number, oversize, overweight), only the higher, single fee is charged." and no additional checked bag fee.

example for American Airlines - if checked bag as 3rd checked bag $150 3rd checked bag fee + $200 oversize fee + $100 (51-70#) or $200 (71-100#) overweight fee = $450-$550

Note Alaska Airlines only charges one extra overweight/oversize fee - not both if it is overweight and oversize.

Last edited:

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Also check sports equipment and firearm sections for the airline rules. Some adjust over length rules for certain things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk