Flying with your pack

This might be a dumb question, but have any of you flown with your pack before? did you check the bag? I am hunting out west this fall and will be doing a scouting trip in June, but dont know if i should carry my pack on or check the bag? lol does ANY of this make sense?

OP
switchback7
if this is the wrong thread to post this question, the mods can feel free to move wherever.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Depends on the pack. I typically check mine in a duffel with other gear, I like some level of protection between the pack and the conveyers/handlers. I could probably get away with it on domestic flights, but with the frame it is too large for overhead or under seat. Worse case scenario is they make you check it at gate.

I have check my Kuiu 5200/7200 but carryon the frame with a 3200 bag (cinched down tight). The larger pack goes into a Taku bag and my optics go into the 3200. Once at my destination, I'll remove the 3200 and attach the larger pack.

Some folks bring their fully loaded pack on the plane. However, if a gate agent wants to get snotty they can easily reject it and you'll be forced to check the bag. Have a couple of empty duffels in case you go this route: one to protect your pack and the other for your optics. Never trust cargo crews to be gentle.

Depending on what and where you are hunting, you may have issue getting everything back home due to size and weight restrictions.

mlgc20

WKR
I have flown with my pack many times. In general, I fly with it almost empty. I check a bag with most everything else. I will keep my quilt in my pack. And that’s it. I figure, those are going to be the two hardest things to replace if my bag gets lost/delayed. I try and get my pack as compact as possible, and secure all the lose straps. I did have a Delta gate agent give me a hard time once and made me check it. Otherwise, I’ve had no problem on 30+ other flights.

pc3

WKR
I reckon If I ever check my Kifaru I'm going to put it in something else, they are too $$, luggage gets destroyed, I have a London Bridge Trading Suitcase, US made as trough as nails, the thing was damaged pretty badly on my last international vacation. It's made from 1000D as well.

I'd pack my Kifaru in another case with gear, and maybe pack it on arrival or the like....if possible. So I am interested in this thread and what people suggest for there 1k+ premium packs.

No doubt a couple of International flights will F$%k it in some way.....baggage handlers have a unique skill in destroying stuff IMHO.

I have flown for hiking trips using a bag cover made by Osprey (I think). It’s basically a light duffel bag that covers your pack to project the straps, etc from the airport handler nasties. It was nice to load up my pack as I would for the trip, carry it like a pack to/from the airport, and then just zip it up right before checking it in.

Reactions: pc3
+1 for packing inside a duffle. You can pick up some very light weight ones that will hold your whole pack and some other gear. I know some guys that use a dyneema travel duffle But they are $$$. Bottom line is baggage handling process can be hell on shoulder straps and buckles for packs.

if you use it as carryon just make sure it complies with regs. Also make sure you don’t have a stray bullet, empty shell casing or havalon blade rolling around in the bottom. All of these will make TSA cranky. Ask me how I know.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Just get a flight bag, which is basically a giant lightweight duffle bag that is nothing more than a giant sleeve made to put a backpack into for air travel. I have a couple from Lowe Alpine that I've had for 20+ years.
Opens at one end or can have a full-length zipper, put your loaded backpack into it, place a lock on it and your done.

Sure, checking bags sucks, but I can't imagine any airline letting you carry on a giant pack. Plus you'd still have to check something because of all the things that you'd carry in your pack that you aren't allowed to be carried on like knives, ammo, etc. But then again I guess the knives and ammo could go in the same case with your rifle which can't be carried on and has to be checked in a hard-sided, lockable case.

Similar to these:

O6siBIi.png

Last edited:

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I used to just check my pack as is but felt like it got dirty / black skid marks. I'd recommend getting a duffel of some sort that covers it (I use the Osprey Airporter) or wrapping in a contractor bag

I've carried on the Exo3500 a few times. I put my optics and other items that I really don't want to lose. Strap everything down and never had an issue carrying on. I suppose some planes you might have to gate check.

I'd recommend if you check your pack to put it inside a duffle - you'll protect your straps and buckles from inevitable damage.

sram9102

WKR
Look into carseat covers. We use them traveling with the kiddo all the time and if would easily fit a pack and alot of other gear.

OP
switchback7
I ended up going with the fjallraven bag. it was on sale and the perfect size for my metcalf and other items.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
All my packs went inside REI's travel pack bags, and they came in different sizes, and they held to the punishment.

kravguy

WKR
I've checked mine and used as a carry on. I much prefer checking it inside a larger duffel. That way I can just pull the pack out and it's ready to hunt. No removing all the gear that would have gotten me in trouble trying to use it as a carry on.

md126

WKR
I've carried on the Exo3500 a few times. I put my optics and other items that I really don't want to lose. Strap everything down and never had an issue carrying on. I suppose some planes you might have to gate check.

I'd recommend if you check your pack to put it inside a duffle - you'll protect your straps and buckles from inevitable damage.

This ^^^^^^