Flying with your pack

Generally speaking, if H+W+D=48" or less, it meets requirements for carry on bags in overhead bins.

You may want to double check with your specific carrier.
And even if you exceed it they'll likely only make you just gate check it (pick up in the jetway) or check it through (pick up at baggage claim).

Not a huge deal either way and a good way to beat expensive bag fees and not worry about finding a spot to stuff it in the overhead!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Generally, my pack is my carry on. InReach, Bono’s and whatever else I don’t want to lose goes in it.

Jkuhn22

FNG
Flew on Delta into Bozeman last year with my Exo 3500 as my carry on. It was 1/3 to half full. Had my Bono’s, inReach, rangefinder, boots , pants and jacket all inside. I tighten it down and tucked in the straps and had no issues. I was worried about the sizing of 22 inches for carry on, but no one questioned it.

pc3

WKR
I imagine a 26" Kifaru frame is a "no-go" for carry on then if people are concerned a 22" frame may not cut the mustard.

22lr

WKR
Osprey makes a pretty decent duffle bag designed to fit a backpack. Flown with mine as checked luggage several times, super handy and protects the pack and pack straps from belt burn and another layer of waterproofing for when its getting loaded in the rain! Doubles as a second bag if you end up going somewhere and need to bring alot of stuff back that won't fit in your backpack (and doesn't need to be frozen).

I imagine a 26" Kifaru frame is a "no-go" for carry on then if people are concerned a 22" frame may not cut the mustard.
Most carriers have a limit of around 48", give or take an inch or two, when all three dimensions are added, with the longest being 22". You should check with your carrier for their specific limits.

Having said that, I don't think I've ever seen a carrier enforce the limit. There are inconsiderate people who bring on huge, wheeled hard sided luggage that quite obviously should have been checked, and easily take up half an overhead bin. Nobody says a word.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04