FMJ or AXIS for 27.5 DL / 70# DW

First archery elk hunt coming up in September. Been doing my research but still looking for A or B opinions and 3rd grade-level explanations why to the following arrow choices for central Idaho elk...

Bow is an RX5 Ultra @ 27.5" DL and 70# DW ... range is ≤ 60 yards

A. FMJ
458g @ 256 fps ... 66.1 ft/lbs

- OR -

B. AXIS
406g @ 270 fps ... 65.6 ft/lbs

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
I would shoot a 27" 340 Axis with 125-grain head at about 435 grains.

I have never shot an FMJ but based on other user reports I never will. They have a chance of bending with no real upside over straight carbon.

OP
B
First off... I like the suggestion of the AXISs with the 125g point. Will give it a go this weekend at the range. Merci beaucoup!

Second, what is this FMJ "bending" thing you speak of?

Jimbob

WKR
Do some reading on FMJ durability and you'll find multiple reports of those arrows bending on guys. Pulling from targets the wrong way, hitting cold partially frozen targets, or hitting ground/tree/wood target frames have all resulted in bent arrows. Some guys have been happy with the FMJ as well though.

Laned

WKR
FMJ's have an aluminum sheath. Like a fully aluminum arrow, they can bend and lose their straightness. Axis is a much better arrow.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

I have a 27.5 dl, i shoot the axis with a 125 grain bh, arrow cut to 28ish” c to c. It shoots great for me. If you go with the axis I would suggest going to 125 grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
If you hate nock tuning as much as I do then I would go for the FMJ. However with your specs I would use the Axis due to getting the perfect amount of speed out of that setup.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Been shooting the FMJ’s for a long time and have only had a few bend and that was from glancing off a tree. They are great arrows and super durable. but they are heavy and if FOC is what your after I would go with the axis with a heavier point.

another vote for Axis. love mine. the bend factor of FMJ's scared me away cause im not always the sharpest bulb in the shed and sail some arrows from not re dialing my sight from time to time. also have seen FMJ's break on fairly minor deflections at times.

Fadeaduno

FNG
I agree with most on the axis. I ran axis (running rip tko now ) with 125 and 50grain brass insert and was very happy with flight and penetration on targets and the few animals I connected for quite a few years. I did buy 2 dz fmj to test and was never happy with performance they are a good heavy arrow but I like some had them bend on random targets and from a 50ish yard shot on a deer shoulder from the guy I gave them to shooting 60lb Hoyt. Both are great arrows and if I wasn’t shooting Victory arrows I’d be shooting axis

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i shot the 340 fmj for years with 100gr tips. didn't really have a problem with them bending. had a group i used for hunting and a group i used for practice. i loved the weight and penetration. this year i picked up a new bow (70# bowtech recknoning) and went with 340 axis and upped the front to 125 gr and put in some lumenoks to add a little more weight too. amazingly both the fmj and axis are sharing the same trajectory out to 40 yards or so which is nice. pulling the fmj from targets is 1000% easier than pulling axis and gold tip hunters.

why did i switch? shrug. A comes before F? my credit card still had room? who knows....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't use FMJ's if they had my name printed on them at the factory and I got them for free. I like tough durable arrows that I don't have to worry about staying straight regardless how I use them. I'd rather they break than bend and lose their straightness.

OP
B
Thanks everyone for the input! Luckily I have a buyer for the FMJs I had already purchased. Now to stir the pot even more though...

After reading up on FOC I purchased a half-dozen Axis arrows online equipped w/ a 50gr brass insert so now I have to decide on a 459gr Axis arrow or a 486gr Axis arrow based on what tip I put on.

Still need to go into the shop and use the chrono to get speeds but any opinions on which weight arrow would be better?

Thanks everyone for the input! Luckily I have a buyer for the FMJs I had already purchased. Now to stir the pot even more though...

After reading up on FOC I purchased a half-dozen Axis arrows online equipped w/ a 50gr brass insert so now I have to decide on a 459gr Axis arrow or a 486gr Axis arrow based on what tip I put on.

Still need to go into the shop and use the chrono to get speeds but any opinions on which weight arrow would be better?
I don't understand why anyone uses 100 grain heads. The durability just goes down as broadheads are made lighter. It's impossible to build a 100 grain head with a decent cutting width without thinning the steel out in some fashion. But I'm a trad guy, so I don't have any insight into the trajectory difference you'll see with a heavier arrow. Maybe the tradeoff is worth it.

fatlander

WKR
I don't understand why anyone uses 100 grain heads. The durability just goes down as broadheads are made lighter. It's impossible to build a 100 grain head with a decent cutting width without thinning the steel out in some fashion. But I'm a trad guy, so I don't have any insight into the trajectory difference you'll see with a heavier arrow. Maybe the tradeoff is worth it.

To a certain degree, you are correct. However there are 100 grain heads out there that are plenty tough enough for anything besides dangerous game.

Most people shoot 100 grain heads based off availability. There are simply more options and often times nothing heavier than 125 grain heads where most people do their shopping.

OP: Good choice with the axis. I’d go with whichever point weight tuned better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbxl20

WKR
Following....Im planning on heading west for elk as well. I’ve been using axis arrows for over 10 years. I shot the same 340 spine arrows through multiple deer. Last year I was very lucky and sent one through a buck here in Pa and then 2 weeks later the same arrow in a buck in Ohio. I Can’t complain about the durability of these arrows. I recently bought a dozen 300 spine Axis to start training for elk. I’m still going through the tuning process but I went with the 300’s in case I want to run 125grain head. I’m curious to suggestions this thread brings.

Go with the Broadhead s you have and trust. That will save you $ to buy more arrows, 6 doesn’t give you much leeway if you break or loose one!

Jbxl20

WKR
I’m no expert and still figuring this out myself, but from my research 450-500 grains is ideal weight. But it all comes down to tuning and practice. Put it in the vitals and don’t have to worry about it. My setup comes in around 498 with 100 grain point. Once I get more accurate with my 60-70 yard shots I want to try 125 grain tip and see if the drop is significant.

azbill

FNG
I have always shot the axis arrow . anywhere around 420,450 is optimal . sharp broadhead, put it in the vitals, no worries.