FMJ vs small diameter carbons time for new arrows

I have been shooting FMJ for years but I am down to five hunting arrows and want to re stock. Went to the BassPro archery section for the first time in years an noticed right off that they don't carry Easton anymore. I also noticed the small diameter Goldtip arrows. Can I get some input on this (new to me) product? My FMJs weigh 362 w/o BH and with fletching and nock. Seems like I have a 50 gr brass insert in them. I would like to stay in that weight range.

TheTone

WKR
I’m strongly considering moving to FMJ’s next year. I really like the weight of the shaft and total arrow without having to mess with extra weight, inserts etc and then figuring out spine. My only concern is bending shafts but maybe I’m overthinking that

Zac

WKR
Anything with a inside diameter less than .204 is a pain to deal with component wise. They do fly well, however they are tough to build, and shops usually do an even worse job getting the collars on square. Bass Pro is garbage anyway. I wouldn't even step foot in some place that doesn't sell Easton. Find a good pro shop and get some advice. You would probably be happy with the Easton Axis with 50-75 up front, 75 would make up for some of the gpi your giving up in the shaft from the FMJ. You could probably spine up as well with the extra weight in the front. Should be pretty close, if not heavier.

Agree with Zac 100%. You could probably bump up to 75gr brass and a stiffer spine with the Axis 5MM, come out nearly the same weight and have a much more durable, consistent arrow in the process. FMJs, I dont have anything good to say about them.

Reactions: Zac

Anozira

WKR
I went from FMJ's to Axis 5mm because I was tired of bending arrows. For me the cost of the FMJs isn't worth it if you practice alot. I went from a 100grain on FMJ to 125grain on axis and ended up with a better FOC and if I remember correctly pretty much stayed the same on overall arrow weight.

I prefer Axis 5mm over FMJs.

Lighter GPI over the total length of the arrow. I can build more weight where I want it (up front) and achieve a similarly weighted arrow that will fly better (IMO.)

You aren't overthinking be doing fmj's. I did it pretty quickly, and only target shooting. They might be better in 260 spine, but I won't mess with them again.

I'm also of the opinion that small diameter is a huge pain in the ass. Everyone is trying to reinvent something that already works pretty well. Just another way to get us to part with our money. While I'll admit that I do well with one part, I'm definitely not sold on small arrows unless it's for target with glue in points.

ndforbes

FNG
I agree with some of the other posts....if you go carbon/micro diameter that is a little lighter g/inch than the fmj, you can run a heavier insert or outsert to get your total arrow weight to the same level. I shot the FMJ for a bit, but now shoot a Victory VAP SS with more weight up front. My total arrow weight is about the same, but my FOC is now higher and they fly better out of my bow. Guys have killed a lot of game with the FMJ and they are great arrows, but I haven't noticed any durability loss since going with a carbon arrow with an outsert to protect the shaft. The one thing that is nice with running an Axis or the arrows that I run is that you can shoot standard broadheads and don't have to change over to deep 6 heads.