FMJs - any downsides?

Aside from price are there any downsides to FMJs? I have three from my dad but they're too short for me now. Seems like they're good because they might hold up if you miss the target on a 3d course or go through a bone on an elk. Also, when shooting at grouse how do you avoid breaking arrows?

TSimons9

FNG
In my experience with FMJ's which was about 3 years shooting 3D tournaments and back yard shooting a few times a month the FMJ was not any more durable than other arrows on the market. They still break most of the time when you miss a target (note that I live in Northern AZ and there are always rocks behind the targets) and they do have a tendency to lose their straightness over time. They are high GPI which can be either a pro or a con depending on how you like to set up your arrow. I switched away from them because of the high GPI.

Like everyone said, they bend. I'm surprised how easily in my experience.

Otherwise a good arrow, but I think you just go straight aluminum.

They heavy, and they bend.

I shot FMJs for several years when they first came out.

To be honest, I never had an issue with them bending. I did, however, put creases down the sides of some of them shooting groups.

That being said, the only issue I have with them these days is their overall heavier GPI over the length of the arrow. I like, and have always liked, a somewhat heavy arrow. Easy to achieve with an FMJ, just doesn't put the bulk of the weight where I want it (up front.)

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot them for over three years and have yet to bend one...I'm shooting 340 and 300 spine (5mm), I had the first one fail yesterday (in a 3D target no less, and yes I hit all foam!) but one out of a few thousand shots...I'm a believer. The gpi weight doesn't bother me because I shoot 500-550 grains depending on what I'm hunting and 15%+ FOC is not hard for me to get. Those are 125gr Iron Wills w/bleeders.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1772.jpg
    IMG_1772.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 59

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I shot FMJs for years, like 6 years, never bent one. I switched over to Easton Axis this year for a faster (lighter) arrow but still use the FMJs for shooting 3D targets because they are far easier to remove. The 340 spine FMJ with 100 grain tip lands about the same as a 340 Axis with 125 grain tip with my setup, so that's a nice bonus!

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
They are heavy, which I like, and they are very durable in my opinion. I have yet to have one bend or anything after 4 years.

jmez

WKR
Good arrrows. I have shot them since they came out. No reason to change. I like heavy arrows and they fit the bill. I haven't had any trouble with them bending. I've bent some, I've broken some. Like any arrow, you hit stuff they weren't designed for they tend to break.

For those claiming no bends, how do you check them?

I had a very slight bend in several after a couple of weeks. I couldn't pick it up spinning in my hand or anything, but broadhead groups opened up some, then when I put them on an arrow spinner they would stop and roll backwards to a spot to settle in.

Very slight bend, but bent none the less.
Enough that I noticed it with broadheads before anything else.

I'm not saying they all bend, but mine did, and several others I know who shot them had a similar experience.

Reactions: Zac

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
For those claiming no bends, how do you check them?

I had a very slight bend in several after a couple of weeks. I couldn't pick it up spinning in my hand or anything, but broadhead groups opened up some, then when I put them on an arrow spinner they would stop and roll backwards to a spot to settle in.

Very slight bend, but bent none the less.
Enough that I noticed it with broadheads before anything else.

I'm not saying they all bend, but mine did, and several others I know who shot them had a similar experience.
Spinning, just like you did.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
I shot fmjs for 10 ish years. I still shoot some dangerous game ones. They are quiet compared to other arrows (because of the weight) but they do bend a little. It just would take me more time to pick out the straightest arrows for fixed broadheads. If you’re shooting mechanicals inside 40 yards they’re probably fine…

If you’re looking for something that will hold up to bone I’d probably look into better components up front like collars and broadheads first. That would also add some weight while strengthening the overall package.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Easy to bend and not very durable in my opinion. There are better options out there for the money from the experience I had with them.
I agree with this. I gave up. To many arrows getting jacked up. My Gold tips outlast the FMJ's 10X.

They are heavy, which I like, and they are very durable in my opinion. I have yet to have one bend or anything after 4 years.
Ive been shooting them for close to 10 years. same experience. Only ones I ever bent were because I missed and I like them heavy. My FOC has never been ideal but doesn't seem to hurt. They typically go where I want them to.