FMJs - any downsides?

I use FMJ's for practice and hunting. I am also a big fan of a heavy arrow and my arrows are 500gr total with 125 iron wills. I also like the feeling and sound of launching a 500gr arrow over a 430ish or 460ish weight range from my carbon defiant 34.

I have damaged one arrow in the last 4-ish years that was from an accidental shot that hit a metal beam downrange. Otherwise, they fly true and don't bend. I check them by spinning them with a pine ridge arrow inspector.

Sample of one but I did the pepsi challenge and had 3 each of a few types of arrows built for my bow 2 years ago. The FMJs ddi t fly any better than the axis and were more expnsive. Between my collar, insert and head I was where I wanted to be weight wise without the extra GPI so I am shooting the axis. I put judo points on the fmjs and they have held up well as squirrel arrows.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve shot them for over a decade. Yes they can bend but that is a minor issue IMO. My main problem with them was the inserts being driven into the shaft on solid hits. Once I started using JB Weld rather than the epoxy that came with the shafts my problems were solved. Love the weight and straightness.

Been shooting them for years and have significantly reduced the number of arrows I churn through. Never have had one bend. I switched after having an all carbon arrow explode at full draw shooting shards into the side of my face and dislodging my peep sight and thumping me in the chest with it.

Trial153

WKR
I think think there are a lot of upside to carbon/aluminum shaft. Most consistent spine, super tight tolerances, almost never need any nock tuning at all, and don’t forget safety …they aren’t splintering like an all carbon tube….. but the down side is they can bend.

I never had much luck with FMJ in the durability area. I have found that ACCs on the other hand are very durable and can take a ton of shooting abuse. They are also the most consistent staff I every used and with brass H inserts the are a sweet spott for weight with almost no fuss in the build.
I the 390 ACCs are the best 400 spine hunting shaft in existence….so much so that when Easton discontinued the Prohunters I bought a life time supply of shafts, I think I still have like 6 dozen uncut.

Easton ACC Pro Hunters were the best, aluminum core carbon shell. Durable and never bent. I don't know why they discontinued them

Trial153

WKR
Easton ACC Pro Hunters were the best, aluminum core carbon shell. Durable and never bent. I don't know why they discontinued them

Not sure, cost most likely? They were never cheap. I mean you can get regular ACCs still you just looking at switching up components a bit.

I have never culled a new ACC from build, and I can’t say the same about almost all the current high end carbon shafts I have built.

Not sure, cost most likely? They were never cheap. I mean you can get regular ACCs still you just looking at switching up components a bit.

I have never culled a new ACC from build, and I can’t say the same about almost all the current high end carbon shafts I have built.
Never culled a single one either. My only gripe is they could've been heavier. I switched to Axis, not match grade, and a few of them have ended up grouse arrows. I think I'll try match grade next.