F'n New Guy - Just moved to Northern MN

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
Just moved to Northern MN from Chicago. This was my first hunting season. So much to learn. Did well with grouse but no luck during deer season. Looking forward to learning here. Thanks for having me.

street

WKR
Welcome. Lot of wolves up there. I have gotten quite a few on camera. Tough deer hunting up there.

OP
R

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. Lot of wolves up there. I have gotten quite a few on camera. Tough deer hunting up there.
Thanks for the heads up on Wolves. I'm just south of Bemidji. What's tough about the deer hunting? I went out this year and have a lot to learn.

street

WKR
Thanks for the heads up on Wolves. I'm just south of Bemidji. What's tough about the deer hunting? I went out this year and have a lot to learn.
Pretty low numbers now days from the hunting and wolves. All the hunters shoot any buck they say. Ive hunted that area of the state quite a few years. Can give you some pointers if you pm me.

OP
R

raferalston

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty low numbers now days from the hunting and wolves. All the hunters shoot any buck they say. Ive hunted that area of the state quite a few years. Can give you some pointers if you pm me.
Interesting. I can't PM cause I'm new but I hunted Two Inlets, Smoky Hills and Huntersville State Forests this year. It was tough going for sure. Found tons of tracks and bedding but came home empty handed.

Welcome! I hunt to the east of where your talking around the Paul Bunyan. I'll double down on what street is telling you. The wolves aren't helping us and density's are pretty low on the state land. That being said its a cycle. 3 years ago things weren't bad, but we're sliding the other way now. If you can find beds and sign you're on the right track. If you archery hunt that can be a more productive pursuit. Not as many guys in the woods and you might have half a chance at patterning a buck early season.

Last edited: