Fng from alberta

MBubley

FNG
Been lurking on the site for a while finally made a account, hoping to gain some info from more experienced members about general back country hunting, ive ventured as far as day trips and overnight truck trips but looking to go more hike in hike out 5+ day trips any advice on gear or things you wish you knew would be great

OP
M

MBubley

FNG
Where are you headed and when. There is a bit of everything in Alberta.
As of right now spring bear in 352 353 northern alberta area, and planning on general elk and hopefully get my mule deer draw in southern ab this year, eventually venturing into sheep hunting with some more experienced buddies

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of bears in WMU353.
Careful when its wet, the Bigstone can be a nightmare.
As for Elk in 353 shes tough going. I did kill a cow in there many years back but it was the only elk I seen in 10 days. The AB government has absolutely ruined the elk and moose population in 353 trying to save the last couple of caribou in that zone. Thats my honest opinion. Give out a ton of moose and elk draw tags in order to lower the numbers enough that the wolves will leave???? Seems backwards to me, lets focus on predator control.
Anyway sorry for the rant lol.
Welcome, there is a ton of good info on here, and seems to be more and more canadians all the time.
Dylan

OP
M

MBubley

FNG
Lots of bears in WMU353.
Careful when its wet, the Bigstone can be a nightmare.
As for Elk in 353 shes tough going. I did kill a cow in there many years back but it was the only elk I seen in 10 days. The AB government has absolutely ruined the elk and moose population in 353 trying to save the last couple of caribou in that zone. Thats my honest opinion. Give out a ton of moose and elk draw tags in order to lower the numbers enough that the wolves will leave???? Seems backwards to me, lets focus on predator control.
Anyway sorry for the rant lol.
Welcome, there is a ton of good info on here, and seems to be more and more canadians all the time.
Dylan
Thats what ive heard its tough going predator population is out control hense why going for bear, trying to do some scouting in the smokey river area to find elk still new to elk hunting been looking at harvest reports any recommendations for elk

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Thats what ive heard its tough going predator population is out control hense why going for bear, trying to do some scouting in the smokey river area to find elk still new to elk hunting been looking at harvest reports any recommendations for elk
The Smoky is a great place to start.
Archery or Rifle hunting?
Where are you located?

OP
M

MBubley

FNG
The Smoky is a great place to start.
Archery or Rifle hunting?
Where are you located?
Im just outside of edmonton, trying to go ina general area while i build priority points for some of the southwestern units, i will be hunting rifle