FNG from Florida/North Carolina

SirFer

FNG
I'm a late-onset hunter from Florida. I've been around guns most of my life but don't have any friends or family that hunt or are into archery so forums like this one have been great sources of knowledge. I can't put a finger on what prompted it, but 2 years ago at 28 I just decided to buy a bow and start getting into archery/bowhunting and hunting more than paper with guns. I hunt alone on public land in FL which I don't think could be much more different from western hunting, but I have a house in the mountains of North Carolina near the Pisgah National Forest so I'd like to start using that to put some of what I've learned here in practice before planning my first western hunt a few years from now. Sorry that I probably won't have much to contribute for a while but thanks for everything I've already gleaned and thanks in advance for all that I'll continue to learn.

DannyBump

FNG
I'm a late-onset hunter from Florida. I've been around guns most of my life but don't have any friends or family that hunt or are into archery so forums like this one have been great sources of knowledge. I can't put a finger on what prompted it, but 2 years ago at 28 I just decided to buy a bow and start getting into archery/bowhunting and hunting more than paper with guns. I hunt alone on public land in FL which I don't think could be much more different from western hunting, but I have a house in the mountains of North Carolina near the Pisgah National Forest so I'd like to start using that to put some of what I've learned here in practice before planning my first western hunt a few years from now. Sorry that I probably won't have much to contribute for a while but thanks for everything I've already gleaned and thanks in advance for all that I'll continue to learn.
Our stories are similar. It is HARD to kill a deer on public land here, at least where I am. I hunt public alone as well and if the mosquitos don’t drive you mad, some hillbilly blowing through the woods in a swamp buggy will. Insane hunting pressure but most people don’t stray far from the road (unless they can drive their buggys). There’s deer around, just gotta wade through the muck to get to them.

Welcome from SE Wisconsin. I'm new here as well.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Been here in florida for several years now but this will be the first year I will be trying to hunt deer in Florida. Always had a fear of hunting solo on public land but it's this year or never so I'm going to try bow hunting first. Maybe I'll make some friends here to "team" up on in public land. I'm always up for making new friends. All my hunting friends live back in North Carolina where I moved from.

Welcome from another NC NG. Rokslide is a tremendous source of information that will help you hone your skills and refine your gear. Pisgah, Nantahala, etc are beautiful and a great places to put them to the test. Best of luck!